Do you often find people think you're crazy spending over $20 on headphones?
Oct 16, 2007 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 147

Bunninator

Head-Fier
A lot of people I know can't seem to wrap their head around spending over $20, let alone $100 on a set of headphones. I was at the UPS store today shipping my E3g back to Shure and when I asked to insure the package for $200 the lady looked at me like What.

How do you try to explain it to them? I try to tell them that they changed how I listen to music and that it's very worth it as a fan of music. I remember when I was buying crap headphones they were always breaking and that there was always some sort of headphone drama going on. I couldn't hear stuff while riding the bus because of the noise, something snapping, sore ears. Just a lot of focus being on the pain in the ass of headphones and not a focus on whatever it was I was listening to.

They just sit there in disbelief that a set of headphones could be worth $200+ but then they go on to tell you about their new Bose sound system. :/

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 147
yup.

or worse:

"you spent $150 on headphones other than BOSE? LOLOLOL!!!111oneoneeleven11 YOU GOT RIPPED OFF!"

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yup.

or worse:

"you spent $150 on headphones other than BOSE? LOLOLOL!!!111oneoneeleven11 YOU GOT RIPPED OFF!"

My friend is obsessed with Bose and its not that I don't think they can make some good cans but he seems to think they're the only ones worth buying or talking about. As for people thinking spending over $20 on headphones is crazy, my brother seemed to think a forum discussing headphones was out of this world.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 147
Or in my case:

"What the **** do you need 40 headphones for?!"

I would appreciate advice for how to respond to these people. Right now I just throw a set of headphones at them to make them vulnerable, then hit them over the head with a blunt object so I can escape the awkward situation. I lose a lot of friends because of these headphones, but on the other hand I have also made a lot of new friends with the Gwinnett County Police.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunninator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you often find people think you're crazy spending over $20 on headphones?

No.
I wouldn't care anyway, but the others usually don't care either.
I'm living in a "mind your own business" culture.
Ironically this attitude has been adopted from the U.S. mentality after WWII in an attempt to mimic the conquerors.
Apparently it was a misunderstanding ..........

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or in my case:

I would appreciate advice for how to respond to these people. Right now I just throw a set of headphones at them to make them vulnerable, then hit them over the head with a blunt object so I can escape the awkward situation. I lose a lot of friends because of these headphones, but on the other hand I have also made a lot of new friends with the Gwinnett County Police.

Funny post
smily_headphones1.gif
I lie about how much my headphones cost
blink.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 147
This is a scenario that I have been working on just for this type of situation:

CS= Computerstud
F= friend/acquaintance

F: Sup Cstud, what you been up to?
CS: Not much...Just studding, you know how it is.
(F glances around and notices some HPs with flattering lights glaring down glistening the earcups.)
F: OH snaps, those HPs look ultra sweet. Let me have a listen.
(CS thinks to himself, damn his head look hella greasy and there is a distinctive odor aerating noxiously from him)
CS: It's broken...I'm in the process of getting it fix.
F: Ah I see, how much did you get it for?
CS: You don't really want to know.
F: Well holla at yo boy.
CS: $30
F: Yous is so crazy. $30 for a pair of headphones, that's insane. My Apple Ibud sounds hella good but you gotta get an Ipod to have this much great sound.
CS: Yeah, I completely understand...Ipods are too high end for me. I can't really afford it right now. I'll probably won't even notice the greatness that is the Ipod.
F: Yo yo, Ipods are not just for playas and ballers...Holla at Apple for some refurbs if ya looking for the best sound. Ya heard?
CS: I'll definitely look in to it. Thanks.
(CS let out a sigh of great relief that the conversation is over.)

The End.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 147
Quote:

Or in my case:

That's how everyone should solve their problems...

...with some violence!

Nylan

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, that's more common.

Quote:

Or in my case:

I would appreciate advice for how to respond to these people.

Yeah, so far I've mostly just limited the number of people i let know that fact about me.

I figure one tactic might be the way i defended owning more than one computer before my geekiness started paying my bills -- that being:

"Do you ask a man what his model train set is FOR?"

"uhh . . . "

"This is my model train set."

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 147
They did think I was psycho at first until they tried my sets themselves and realized that I actually had something approaching a clue about what I was talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back