do you need headphones plugged into an amp while burning it in?
Oct 4, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 17
Well I assume it needs to plugged in some amp (whether it be from a portable or receiver or otherwise) inorder to produce any music at all.

Oct 4, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 17
Whups, I guess I should have been more specific. It's the amp that I'm burning in, not the headphones. So to burn in the amp, do I need headphones plugged in? I assume yes, given that it's the driving of the headphones that one aims to improve with burn in.

Oct 4, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 17
Sorry, I thought the question was directed at headphones. For the amplifier it shouldn't matter as long as a signal is passing through, although presenting it with some sort of load can't hurt.

Oct 4, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #8 of 17
poorimpulsectrl: If you don't want just the gain stages to burn in, you should connect a headphone. Otherwise it would be similar to running a car in by just leaving the engine on but not driving one metre...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 4, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 17
The output stage is active whether a load is presented or not. In fact with most solid state devices lowering the load resistance will result in higher power.

Oct 4, 2002 at 12:12 PM Post #10 of 17
HI: I don't know the answer to that question but at the present time I am burning in a Max-Out META42 for 2 days straight and have a pair of headphones plug in to them. Why, I think that its good to have a release for the music from the amp and its also is fun to through on the cans when ever I get near them. This way I can monitor what the burn in is doing. Its been about 17 hours so far and when I work up and put on the cans that were running all nite I have a lot louder sound than before I went to bed and the lows and mids and highs are opening up much more. Now they will burn all day and all nite till 3 O'Clock tomorrow. I think that 48 hours will be enough for the burn in then just get down.

Oct 4, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 17
The output stage is active with no headphones plugged in, but its loafing along outputing no power, with less than normal amount of heat on the output devices. The best burn in would be with headphones, particularly ones that are hard to drive if you have a choice. I usually use a FM tuner for a source so I don't needlessly wear out a CD player.

Oct 5, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 17
Short answer: yes, that is the best way.

Oct 5, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 17
Yes, plug the phones in. Use some cheap phones if you don't want to leave your good ones running that long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back