Do you need an amp to go balanced?
Jun 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HariBhushan

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not too experienced with this area, so i thought I'd get some help.

Say.. if your amp isn't balanced, but you have a dac that has 2 XLR balanced outputs. Can you still have a balanced set-up? Or is having both the amp and the dac with XLR outputs required for going fully balanced?

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 9
The amp and the dac both need to be balanced.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 9
To go true balanced you need an balanced amp and a balanced dac. You can get most of the benefits of balanced by  just getting an amp that uses a phase splitter to turn an unbalanced input into a balanced output.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 9
just playing devil's advocate.
from donald north audio, maker of the lovely sonett amp:

[size=x-small]Some comments about balanced headphone drive[/size]
[size=x-small]I am frequently asked why the balanced output version does not include balanced inputs. This is because balanced inputs are not necessary to provide balanced headphone drive. Being a single ended amplifier, all it needs for input is a single ended (unbalanced) signal. The Sonett operates single ended triode with transformer loading the plate of the 6H30 amplification tube. The secondary windings on the output transformers are center tapped (and grounded for safety), thereby providing a true, differential, balanced output. Thus, you get balanced drive without the complexity from additional balanced input circuitry or input transformers. Again, the simpler - the better. [/size]

but, i will say that it's the only high end amp i can think of that's balanced, but doesn't have balanced inputs...

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 9
You definitely need a balanced amplifier as well.

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 9
From what I understand, balanced interconnects reduce noise, especially over long distances, hence their popularity in pro applications. Going balanced with headphones is a different story, it's basically having two amplifiers drive one headphone, so you need a balanced amplifier... Going balanced to me seems to be prima facie a misnomer, balanced headphone drive and balanced interconnects seem to have different purposes... 

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 9
Bridged drive of headphones - one amp per wire - has "balanced" inverse V on each output and requires what is locally called "balanced headphone cable" - usually a custom modification

Balanced signal interconnect has balanced impedance at each +/- signal line and requires both ends to be designed for balanced operation

a line level signal output xfmr allows some balanced impedance sources to drive single ended inputs too - uncommon in consumer audio

some balanced output devices may be connected to single ended inputs by connecting + and the XLR gnd/shield

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
You can get most of the benefits of balanced by  just getting an amp that uses a phase splitter to turn an unbalanced input into a balanced output.

Does a push-pull amp falls in that category? i've been wondering if i can manage to output a balanced signal from my Stello HP100, which is a push-pull class A amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back