Do you Moleskine/Organiser(paper variety)?
Aug 25, 2007 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

WhatMACHI

500+ Head-Fier
Im just curious how many out there keep a Moleskine, or a ring binded organiser. I love the idea of Moleskine's but the fact that the pages are glued in a notebook style means i cant add pages or rearrange pages which annoys me
frown.gif

I might pick up a small Moleskine for some recipes im building up, and a 6 ring binded small organiser for my dates and to-do.

It just seems that my hipsterPDA (sigh i really dont like the name but i guess thats what people are calling them) cant keep up anymore with durability. For those who dont know a hipsterPDA is a bunch of paper maybe A4 cut in half held together with the black clips, instant notepad
biggrin.gif

todolist.jpg

Heres what i was keeping my To Remember list in.

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 22
I'm a writer and I *only* use Moleskin books for my scribblings. Though I call myself a writer, until I sell some movie rights, I work as a Network Architect/consultant to pay the bills. I also have a thing for small books. I keep journals, work logs, miscellaneous writings and so-on. My favorite books, bar none, are Moleskin.

Moleskin books use very good paper. I write with either a mechanical pencil or a fountain pen. The Moleskin paper takes either very well which is important to me. I don't feel the need to insert pages, preferring instead to know that everything I wrote is in chronological order. If you're the kind of person that likes to stuff every other piece of loose paper into your notebook, then a moleskin probably isn't for you, even though they have a little pocket in the back.

I have used the plain, grid and ruled Moleskin notebooks. They are the right size for me, stay closed with the included elastic and look different than everyone else's books (for now), so people know right away that it's mine when I leave it in some conference room.

The Moleskin books are very well made. My main book gets a fair amount of abuse and the binding is as good as the day I bought it. I've never had a page even tear in any of my Moleskins. They open flat while writing which is a big deal to me.

HTH,

GAD

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 22
I used to use a Dayrunner for years untill I bought my Dell Axim x51v. I do still have my leather 8 x 10 Dayrunner but havent used it in years now, and a smaller 6 x 8 that i keep in near my pc that i store software keys, website logons and passwords in
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 22
I bought a Moleskine clone at Staples for $7. An impulse buy, it has all of the Moleskine features, the page marker, the elastic band and the pocket.
but I'm sticking with the composition notebooks because they don't bend and flop around in my bag. I like their stiffness.
I think the Rite in the Rain journals will be the next hipster PDA if it isn't already.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 22
If you're looking to do the Hipster PDA thing, I suggest using index cards and getting a small, slim plastic index card box. (You can get those kind of boxes at office supply stores.) I did the Hipster PDA thing for about half of last year, and being able to reorder and rip up cards is a lot more satisfying and practical than using a notebook with fixed pages.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking to do the Hipster PDA thing, I suggest using index cards and getting a small, slim plastic index card box. (You can get those kind of boxes at office supply stores.) I did the Hipster PDA thing for about half of last year, and being able to reorder and rip up cards is a lot more satisfying and practical than using a notebook with fixed pages.

I should do that. My "backs of envelopes" system may be environmentally sound, but is an organizational flop. And electronic note takers never worked for me.

Aug 25, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should do that. My "backs of envelopes" system may be environmentally sound, but is an organizational flop. And electronic note takers never worked for me.

Another nice thing is you can stash a small pen and thin highlighter inside the card box too, so you don't have to hunt around for a pen when you want to write something.

There's something really viscerally satisfying about tearing a card in two once you've completed all the todos on it.

Aug 25, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another nice thing is you can stash a small pen and thin highlighter inside the card box too, so you don't have to hunt around for a pen when you want to write something.

There's something really viscerally satisfying about tearing a card in two once you've completed all the todos on it.

I get to buy a new pen too? Sold.

Aug 25, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 22
I use a Moleskine pocket notebook daily. Although ringed and wire bound notebooks have more flexibility, the Moleskine's are far more compact. I always have one in my pocket.
1232480483_72b06f17a3_b.jpg

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 22
Yay! Moleskine FTW! j/k

I use a Moleskine on a near day to day basis: 13x21cm lined notebook for taking notes and 9x14cm lined reporter for random scribbling. They're very durable and I love the stiff cover.

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 22
omg kwkarth that pen is massive! Sigh, every time i see someone else's pen i remember my Dr. Grip Pacer (shakey one) is lost somewhere T_T Strange though because i lost my dr grip pacer and pen together, but i found my pen and not the pacer...

Probably going to grab a semi-small Moleskine today for recipes. And a new sturdy pacer. Ive been using a 70 cents pacer that i bought 2 minutes before a class because i had nothing to write with
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back