Do you listen to your music or do you listen to your equipment?
Jun 22, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #16 of 61
When I acquire a new piece of gear, I listen to it, but that fades. The music has much more staying power.

When you watch a movie, are you watching the pixels or the movie?

Laz

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #17 of 61
I listen to music through my headphones. If I take them off, there is no sound from my equipment.

Jun 23, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #19 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither. I don't bother to turn my system on. I just sit and stare and listen to the room. Usually it's pretty quiet but sometimes I can hear little ticks so that drives me nuts. Why even bother to listen to equipment or music if the room isn't perfect?
wink.gif

It's for that very-reason, that I gave-up my speaker-based rig; in favour of a headphone-based system. The room is much-less likely to be a factor; although I still find that what's going on in the room you listen in, still has an influence on how you perceive the sound-quality of the music. Personally though, I vote for music. If the music is good; it sticks with you, no matter what you listen to it on.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #21 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by courierdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's for that very-reason, that I gave-up my speaker-based rig; in favour of a headphone-based system. The room is much-less likely to be a factor; although I still find that what's going on in the room you listen in, still has an influence on how you perceive the sound-quality of the music. Personally though, I vote for music. If the music is good; it sticks with you, no matter what you listen to it on.
wink.gif

Interesting that you found my comments insightful. I was really just being a sarcastic... uhhhh, can't say what I want to say. On one level, I realize that a lot of people find these kinds of threads interesting, but I guess I've been around this place for so long now that the ump-teenth iteration gets a bit tiring. As some others have said (in one way or another) on this thread, it's not really an either/or proposition. You're not either a music lover or an equipment lover. The two can peacefully coexist. The more you love music, the more you'll appreciate what great equipment can do to bring out the best in your favorite recordings. At least that's been my experience. Anyway, I didn't vote in this poll because I find it to be pointless.

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #23 of 61
Definitely the music now. I've been through quite a few upgrades etc and have settled on a very simple and cheap setup, which is perfectly adequate to let me enjoy the music I love.

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #24 of 61
i always debate on what equipment i shoudl use to enjoy the music at its fullest, thinking, what the music is, what the temperature is like (extra amps make the room warmer... :wink: ), if i mind closed headphones if the neighbours are noisy, but then i choose and relax and enjoy the music

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #25 of 61
I listen to the music itself (dancing around while washing up is the tell tale sign) but as with everyone, I do listen to the equipment at some point. More often than not at the moment as I've just picked up my first cMoy...

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #26 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do u listen to ur equipment without music =P

By using the music merely as a mean to hear the capabilities of your musical system, and then to primarily enjoy how well the system is able to present the music and not the musical content. Example: Buying and listening to "Jazz at the Pawnshop" or other "audiophile CD:s" in spite of not liking the music that is being played.

Amazon.com: Jazz at the Pawnshop: Various Artists, Arne Domnerus, Bengt Hallberg, Lars Erstrand, Gerog Riedel, Egil Johansen: Music

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #28 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither. I don't bother to turn my system on. I just sit and stare and listen to the room. Usually it's pretty quiet but sometimes I can hear little ticks so that drives me nuts. Why even bother to listen to equipment or music if the room isn't perfect?
wink.gif

I have a suggestion:
Set up a couple of high quality microphones and then listen to your room through your best headphones. That way you'd hear the "little ticks" but instead of them "driving you nuts", you'd enjoy it because you'd be listening to the "ticks" and to the room through your headphones.
Just think of all the fun you could have taking your headphones off and putting them back on as you compare the actual sounds in the room to the way those sounds are played through your headphones.

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #30 of 61
^ I do hope I can get into that same condition soon. All the noise turns into a beautiful melody, from a piano or a sax. I will piss honey from that on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back