Do you listen to mainstream music?
Feb 4, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #16 of 49
If im at work or the radio is on whenever im out with friends then yeah, but if i had a choice pretty much no, i mention a bunch of bands ive been listening to ppl and they stare blankly at me
rolleyes.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #20 of 49
If "main stream" means FM radio... then no.

I'm more likely to listen to AM sports-talk (KNBR) than FM

Feb 4, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #21 of 49
I listen to som FM radio at work, where they play mainstream music.
So I would say 'Yes, I do'.

Feb 4, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
70% mainstream.. the rest is jazz and well.. sigur ros?

EDIT: how mainstream is mainstream? Jeff buckley and pearl jam?

Pearl Jam is as mainstream as it gets.

Feb 4, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #23 of 49
I am frighteningly oblivious to modern mainstream music. Not being born in the USA probably helps too.

Feb 5, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #27 of 49
I've never seriously listened to the radio. I'm a word-of-mouth kind of person; most of the bands I like I was told about; I didn't just hear a song somewhere (with the exception of System of a Down; I did hear Toxicity somewhere, and I now I'm a fan). I'm not one of those people to hate music just because it's mainstream like some people do; if I like it, I listen. Mainstream music like Gnarls Barkley, the Gorillaz, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Death Cab, etc. sits right next to my Joanna Newsom, Sufjan Stevens, Iron & Wine, Interpol, Daft Punk, Arcade Fire, etc.

I consider myself pretty open-minded about music
smily_headphones1.gif

Except when it comes to bands like Panic! At The Disco. Blech.

Feb 5, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #28 of 49
Yeah, "mainstream" is a very ambiguous moniker. For example, you can define an artist as mainstream by their general popularity, their airplay, number of albums sold, etc. However, if by mainstream you mean Billboard Top 40/MTV/Grammy Awards kinda packaged and shoved-down-your-throat derivitave R&B, hip-hop, rap, etc. then my answer is no. And I remember when MTV was fairly relevant. It's been nothing more than one big advertisement for the last decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back