Do you listen to headphones out of your price range?
Jan 27, 2010 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

JonJeffman

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide between some Senn 650's and Denon D2000's and while trying to audition them have also listened to HD800's (thanks Devin, I think?) and then was in a store that had a pair of D7000's on display. But the sales guy wouldn't let me listen to the D7000 (I guess I look like riff-raff) and he told me if I'm not prepared to pay that much don't listen to them cause I'd never be happy with the D2000's.

So that leads to my poll question.

(I was once told that when buying a suit, try one on that is way out of your price range, then go find one you can afford that is the closest match to the expensive one. Seemed like good advice, but I don't drool over suits like I do 'phones.)

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 29
I'd say the sales clerk is right as once you get accustomed to high end audio there is no going back. If you have heard the D7000 the flaws of the D2000 will be that much more evident whereas if you get the D2000's w/o hearing the D7000's you can stay in a state of ignorant bliss provided you stop reading these forums.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 29
No cause I don't have the opportunity
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 29
Well, I have listened to the Orpheus, but have been able to remain happy with "lesser" headphones. My advice is to go for the pair you really want as long as you can afford them. Otherwise, you'll go through a series of headphones before you buy the ones you've been lusting after. It can cost less to go straight for the top right away.

On the other hand, unless you already have heard a wide variety of headphones and know exactly what you want, it makes more sense to work your way up with used headphones. When you go used, you can almost always get your money out before moving on to the next pair.

And if you can find a local meet, you should absolutely go. That's the best way to listen to a variety of headphones before settling on something.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 29
Of course the answer is yes. That is the fun part of this hobby. Why do you think hi fi mags keep reviewing gears that require a second mortgage from most people?
wink.gif

By the way, I would never go back to that shop again- I hate being looked down on.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 29
There are no headphones outside of what I can afford, but there are many that I cant 'thoil'.

I dont have the opportunity to demo high end gear, hell I struggle to dem mid end gear.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 29
How you'll personally deal with hearing cans way out of your price range is up to your own personality. It's not like we are all wired to respond a certain way as hobbyists in this business. Initially, you may think that you always get what you pay for. Initially, you may think that what many here think is great, will be great for you. Initially, you may be lulled by the beauty of some of these higher end cans and are without even knowing, making concessions on sound, in exchange for other perks associated with ownership admixed with the expectation of great sound for the large amount paid.

What these points of view are like at the start and how they evolve over time is really a personal thing. I am personally becoming very careful with cans that stretch my pocket to purchase since my personal threshold for diminishing returns has been reached. This threshold is very personal. ATM, I get as much enjoyment out of my ALO K702's, as my Edition 8's, and one is less than a half the price of the other. Same for my RS2i. Initially, on getting the Edition 8's, I only had ears for it, but over time, it changed. Instead of looking forward to the other high end can, I decided to look back instead, and made the discovery that I still enjoy these lower priced cans and that there is great sound for less. No can is perfect either, so you'll need more than one eventually.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 29
The first headphone I ever listened to at a meet was the HE90.

Yeah... it kinda snowballed from there.

The funny thing is, when I first got into hi-fi I completely lost the ability to enjoy lesser gear. But after getting acclimated to good sound, I've regained it. Good gear is just good sound, and bad gear is bad sound, but there's no reason to not enjoy the music on the vast majority of systems - unless they're really dreadful, or the music demands good quality in order to have effect.

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 29
Where I live there is no chance in hell to audition without buying
tongue.gif

But I would definiatly listen if I had a chance. Would have saved me from a few mines. I would also be more confident about my purchase was the right one if I listened to the other headphones people rave about but you doesn´t get
smily_headphones1.gif

If you really don´t want to pay it´s dangerous of course. Not due to not being able to enjoy lesser headphones but you may feel forced to buy them if they are good. There was no way I would pay 1400$ for a headphone. I was all done (probably just lying to myself though) and then Ultrasone have this 35 day return warranty. Being able to actually audition something felt so luxurious I had to do it.

They did seduce me so at the 35 day I couldn´t get rid of them. And even though you do get spoiled when you get used to a headphone (new toy syndrome diminish as you take things for granted) they still sound to good to sell even though I enjoy my 450$ Pro 900 just as much or more. But they solve different tasks so no straight A-B possible.

I also acquired some yuin PK 3 ear phones that are not at all at the same level as any of my full sized headphones. But I manage to enjoy them as portable as well. Not my first choice when I am in environments where I can actually use my full size headphones of course.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 29
I do not let its price tag define if I audition it or not.
Have auditioned the Sennheiser HE90 and no regrets at all. It is out of my price range, in the sense that I will not (although I can) spend $8-10k on a pair of headphones. Would certainly audition a pair of Sony MDR-R10, Sony Qualia 010, Stax SR-Omega, .. if I ever get the opportunity as well.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 29
i went from the e3c, to the e5c and was amazed at how much better the e5c sounded...swore i would never replace them and that the e5c were so good, that i'd enjoy them forever.

when i got the sensaphonic 2X-S, i briefly owned the e5c at the same time, (before shortly selling them.) when i tell you that the e5c were utterly unlistenable after hearing the sensapohnics, i am not kidding.

i had let my brother borrow the e5c on occasion, and after i got my sensaphonics, i let him check them out, (even though he couldn't completely fit them in his ears because they are custom molded.) after just a few moments of listening to the sensaphonics, even he agreed, the e5c sounded like dirt in comparison.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say the sales clerk is right as once you get accustomed to high end audio there is no going back. If you have heard the D7000 the flaws of the D2000 will be that much more evident whereas if you get the D2000's w/o hearing the D7000's you can stay in a state of ignorant bliss provided you stop reading these forums.

Totally true. Once you've even sampled something better at a friend's place, it just irks you, till you scrape up enough to buy it. But then, your ears live but once!

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 29
I would say to listen to everything that you can get your hands on. I strongly believe in the "law of diminished returns", if a particular headphone can give you 90% of the SQ of a much more expensive set of HP's for $100's less and you can't afford the the more expensive model why not purchase the less expensive model until the time you may be able to upgrade. To bad you had a bad experience with high-end salesman, in the city that I live in they would not last long because people are fairly laid-back and I've seen Dr.'s, lawyers, and professional people go in to high-end stores that could buy any piece of equipment in a store look fairly shabby. Happy Listening.
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJeffman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the sales guy wouldn't let me listen to the D7000

What a (expletive deleted) move!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back