Do you like glam?
Oct 10, 2009 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Do you like glam rock?

64_glam_oringinals.jpg

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 14
Yup. When I was young, I loved Gary Glitter, the Sweet, Sparks, Slade, Roxy Music, T-Rex.
Still enjoy some of those, especially T-Rex, Slade, early Sparks and early Roxy Music.

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 14
As a little kid in the UK, I was a pretty huuuge Slade fan - and still am - the Sweet, T-Rex, Roxy & Co figured prominently in my formative years.

Now Slade is a great band that is surely overdue a remastering and boxset.

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 14
How could anyone not like glam? It was slightly before my time (I grew up with the New Wave), but have always loved the outlandish costumes and over-the-top production. The music is good, too.

The showmanship is something sorely lacking in today's music. It wasn't just guys showing up in t-shirts and jeans then playing music. Nothing wrong with that, but spectacle it ain't.

I do think rock is going to go that way again. Downloading has destroyed revenyes from recordings, so the best way to get people to pay for music is with a live show. The better the show, the more people will go to see it.

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 14
Because of being 13 years old at the peak of Glamrock, it is what rockstars are to look like to me. I think maybe Little Richard might have been the spark that set it rolling. There are so many bands that incorporated the look. We had the tail of it all in Glam Metal.

To go back and study the major rock bands, there is a sound. We had folk-rock of T-Rex and then the hard rock of Slade. Somehow make-up on men was cool and made them larger than life. We had these people who dropped in from the rock and roll twilight world. They were not human but gods. Their make-up made them bright on stage. The female side of man was not gay only supercool and fantastic showmanship. No adults told us about Elton as he fit right in. Even Edgar Winter was right in there with the supercool ultrahippy sparkle.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 14
@Redcarmoose: Indeed, it's classical, cyclical. It's Swinburne and Wilde and Sassoon and all those fellers from Oxford who told Wilfred Owen how to get laid the next time he was on leave in London (hint: you start at the docks).

But poor old Davie Bowie glammed so hard, he couldn't remember what happened or who he'd been with from 1970-74 (hint: Mick Jagger and Iggy Pop both looked uncomfortable and ducked outside for a smoke).

As for the future prospects of glam, I thought we were already enjoying a Renaissance immensely: it's a mundo glami kind of world with bling everywhere, and metrosexual artistes, and Madonna's Gaultier bustiers looking a little frumpy, like something casual Queen Elizabeth might wear out to walk the Yorkies. And there's Lady Gaga, who went all 'meta' and did Madonna one better by marketing the marketing of herself.

It's a Fact! #402 [for America's Parade Magazine, Oct. 11 2009]: My sister was working in a little modern art gallery here in Birmingham in 1999, and one day Michael Stipe walked in. When she introduced herself, Stipe uttered a number of gnomic prognostications, including that "There's not enough glam in rock any more." but he was about to change all that. She told me he was wearing black nail polish, so I imagine that it wasn't long before he emerged from the black vinyl cocoon.

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do think rock is going to go that way again. Downloading has destroyed revenyes from recordings, so the best way to get people to pay for music is with a live show. The better the show, the more people will go to see it.

That's exactly what Bowie - who is about as shrewd as they come in his business - counsels new bands. I heard him in an interview telling a new band that if they're in it for the long term, they'd better like touring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somehow make-up on men was cool and made them larger than life. We had these people who dropped in from the rock and roll twilight world. They were not human but gods. Their make-up made them bright on stage. The female side of man was not gay only supercool and fantastic showmanship.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But poor old Davie Bowie glammed so hard, he couldn't remember what happened or who he'd been with from 1970-74 (hint: Mick Jagger and Iggy Pop both looked uncomfortable and ducked outside for a smoke).

I also heard it mentioned that Bowie's playing up his bisexuality in the early 70s may have cost him more mainstream success in the US.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. When I was young, I loved Gary Glitter, the Sweet, Sparks, Slade, Roxy Music, T-Rex.
Still enjoy some of those, especially T-Rex, Slade, early Sparks and early Roxy Music.

Where's the The Sweet!

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where's the The Sweet!

Dunno. Don't have their music anymore. No specific reason for that...

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard of that genre before?!
Can you provide some examples?

Check out Brian De Palma's "Phantom of the Paradise" and you'll have a better idea.

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Brian De Palma's "Phantom of the Paradise" and you'll have a better idea.

I've had that in my Netflix queue for about two years and keep piling other titles on top of it. I guess I shouldn't do that.

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 14
Bowie!!! lol. Ya, I actually love listenin to Bowie every once in awhile.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NIGHT!
She was a young American

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard of that genre before?!
Can you provide some examples?

Here's an explanation: allmusic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back