Do you leave your amp powered on all the time?
Aug 12, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 35
No, because my amplifier need to charge between the sessions.
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 35
Always off when I'm not listening. I don't want to have to have to repair them every couple of years. You have to let the components cool off if you want them to last. Constant heat is worse than turning them on and off.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 35
On a semi-related note: Is it safe to leave the amp on continuously for long periods of time while burning in headphones? Example: is it okay to run the amp constantly for the 300 hours that the K701's like for burn-in? That's over 10 days, quite a long time to be running continuously (and hot!).

Ruahrc

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 35
I turn my amp off when not in use. My room is by default the hottest room in the house without my audio equipment helping that.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #13 of 35
Like any appliance, it depends on how much noise and heat it generates.
I leave my SS amp on, even when music isn't playing, but I turn it off when I leave the area.
I think if I had a tube amp, I'd turn it off when I'm not listening to any music.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruahrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a semi-related note: Is it safe to leave the amp on continuously for long periods of time while burning in headphones? Example: is it okay to run the amp constantly for the 300 hours that the K701's like for burn-in? That's over 10 days, quite a long time to be running continuously (and hot!).

Ruahrc

I think you should allow break-in to happen while you're listening. Just let it happen. With all the pairs I've had, I never once felt like I missed anything by letting break-in take its natural course.

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruahrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ruahrc

Why do you need the amp? Plug the phones into any source to burn them in like a computer or receiver. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't need to have the beefy amp current to simply burn the phones in... you just want to move those drivers...

As for the original question, I turn my solid state amps (Predator, RPX-33) off when not in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back