DO YOU HATE NICKELBACK?
Jun 27, 2009 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Laokid18

500+ Head-Fier
I know I do, just wanted to ask some of you.

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 67
Why bother to hate an act you don't like? Just listen to something else.

Most us have bands we like that have attracted this sort of opprobrium. Tell me yours and I'll tell you mine (Nickelback isn't one of mine, FWIW).

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 67
I'll play
regular_smile .gif

Yep, hate Nippleback.
The singer's voice sounds like he's constantly squeezing one out on the toilet.
Stupid lyrics too.

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why bother to hate an act you don't like? Just listen to something else.

Most us have bands we like that have attracted this sort of opprobrium. Tell me yours and I'll tell you mine (Nickelback isn't one of mine, FWIW).

I get your point but, out of sight out of mind doesn't always work.Unfortunately I work in a restaurant that plays the radio alot, and guess what I hear Nickelback and other crappy pop bands , and no I can't have headphones on while working, worse for me I work for my family and they always keep it on the same station.I listen to alot of Rage Against the Machine,Radiohead,The Clash,Joy Division,Public Image Ltd. Those band have one stigma in common, alot of people don't like them because they did what they wanted to and didn't conform to a system.

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, some people would say that RATM is equally silly as Nickelback.

I'm not one of them, but what's the point of this exactly?

to see if people share my opinion or don't.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately I work in a restaurant that plays the radio alot, and guess what I hear Nickelback and other crappy pop bands

Yes, that does make it different. Forced listening is a problem. I've been blessed with the gift of being able to ignore music if I want to. But my wife has not, so I know where you're coming from. She remembers the most horrible songs.

Quote:

I listen to alot of Rage Against the Machine,Radiohead,The Clash,Joy Division,Public Image Ltd. Those band have one stigma in common, alot of people don't like them because they did what they wanted to and didn't conform to a system.

No, those don't count. They all have virtually invulnerable rebellious street cred. It's like answering the classic interview question "what are your weaknesses" with "sometimes I find my own awesomeness just too overwhelmingly great."

In my 20's, I wouldn't have answered the question either, even though at the time, I had a fondness for a certain radio song that has attracted nearly universal hatred since. But I won't tell you what it is unless you ante up properly. But if you're in your 20's, I completely understand and sympathize with why you wouldn't -- or maybe can't.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 67
I used to, but now I mostly laugh at the bands or musicians I dislike so much. On of the things I laugh at about them the most is there use of the typical soft to heavy "Smells like Teen Spirit" sound in "This is How You Remind Me". Which I know wasn't invented by Kurt Cobain and many other people do it, but in that song its just...hahaha! The other thing is a few of their songs almost seem like they singled out certain demographics to specifically write lyrics that would touch these people and sell records. Which to me just seems really wrong, but maybe that is just me. But that recent hit they had that was about being lonely, that just seemed so planned out to me. I can imagine them saying something like "hey there are a lot of sad and lonely people who would relate to a song about being lonely and we could probably sell lots of records if we word it just right." I'm sure others would see this as them trying to give these people hope as "artist", but I'm not convinced.
smily_headphones1.gif

So anyways, I just laugh at them in the rare event that I have to put up with their music, which luckily is very rare. People think it's weird that I find Linkin Park hilarious too and always want me to explain why and I just can't. :p

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Yes, that does make it different. Forced listening is a problem. I've been blessed with the gift of being able to ignore music if I want to. But my wife has not, so I know where you're coming from. She remembers the most horrible songs.

No, those don't count. They all have virtually invulnerable rebellious street cred. It's like answering the classic interview question "what are your weaknesses" with "sometimes I find my own awesomeness just too overwhelmingly great."

In my 20's, I wouldn't have answered the question either, even though at the time, I had a fondness for a certain radio song that has attracted nearly universal hatred since. But I won't tell you what it is unless you ante up properly. But if you're in your 20's, I completely understand and sympathize with why you wouldn't -- or maybe can't.

I am 18,and why don't they count? Those are mainly the only bands I listen to.But I do get your point I am pretty awesome lol.
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 67
Quote:

I am 18,and why don't they count? Those are mainly the only bands I listen to.But I do get your point I am pretty awesome lol.
biggrin.gif

Fair enough. At that age, I'd have been in a similar position.

In case it wasn't clear, my question amounted to: what music do you like that you're embarrassed to admit you like?

No worries, at 18 I wouldn't have remotely considering answering such a question. Utter comfort with the self comes later in life, with luck. Carry on. I do accept that there may be nothing like that on your personal list.

I'm quite fond of The Clash myself, and I saw them once, in Boston, around 1981. They were great -- but I had to learn how to pogo in a hurry.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 67
Quote:

Fair enough. At that age, I'd have been in a similar position.

In case it wasn't clear, my question amounted to: what music do you like that you're embarrassed to admit you like?

No worries, at 18 I wouldn't have remotely considering answering such a question. Utter comfort with the self comes later in life, with luck. Carry on. I do accept that there may be nothing like that on your personal list.

I'm quite fond of The Clash myself, and I saw them once, in Boston, around 1981. They were great -- but I had to learn how to pogo in a hurry.

Dang I wish I could have saw them in there prime like you did, but I wasn't even born yet and yes I got your question the first time but that is how I answered it. I guess I am embarrassed to admit I listen to alot of anime music.Thanks for giving me your opinion and advice.
Back on topic I HATE NICKELBACK !

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES!

That was a productive post. How about joining in the discussion, or mentioning some reasons or critique?

Ive always thought Nickelback was a bit of a band that thought too much of itself - poor lyrics and overdone vocals. Seemed to focus less on being music than anything else.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to, but now I mostly laugh at the bands or musicians I dislike so much. On of the things I laugh at about them the most is there use of the typical soft to heavy "Smells like Teen Spirit" sound in "This is How You Remind Me". Which I know wasn't invented by Kurt Cobain and many other people do it, but in that song its just...hahaha! The other thing is a few of their songs almost seem like they singled out certain demographics to specifically write lyrics that would touch these people and sell records. Which to me just seems really wrong, but maybe that is just me. But that recent hit they had that was about being lonely, that just seemed so planned out to me. I can imagine them saying something like "hey there are a lot of sad and lonely people who would relate to a song about being lonely and we could probably sell lots of records if we word it just right." I'm sure others would see this as them trying to give these people hope as "artist", but I'm not convinced.
smily_headphones1.gif

So anyways, I just laugh at them in the rare event that I have to put up with their music, which luckily is very rare. People think it's weird that I find Linkin Park hilarious too and always want me to explain why and I just can't. :p

Yep completely agree. I also find linkin park a very mediocre band that found the right niche to get into.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 67
Well I'm not necessarily a fan, but someone forgot to read the stickies.

I don't crap other people's music, you don't crap mine. (Although let me one again make it clear I don't listen to nickelback, but there are a fair share of people out there that don't like the dance/techno I listen to)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back