Do you guys feel COMPELLED to listen to music since you bought nice headphones?
Mar 19, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 24
Yes, I can totally relate.
You want to think that you're getting your money's worth out of your purchase.
It's hard to justify a $500 pair of headphones when they're sitting collecting dust, haha....

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 24
Definitely. When I got my M50x, I couldn't stop listening to my music and finding more. I got the Momentums and the addiction got even worse. My Fidelio X1 comes in tomorrow. I have a feeling my Live albums and DVDs are gonna get another round of listening/watching this weekend. Every new headphone is like hearing new versions of the same songs.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 24
At first I felt somewhat rushed and wanted to listen to my headphones constantly and upgrade gear. After a while though I stuck to the thought that I should be more patient and be in this for the long run. I wanted to get a near-end-game setup quickly, in about a year. Though I figured it would be best to slow down, research like crazy, attend some headphone meets, and save up for some great stuff.

Also helps to have money for non-headphone stuff that is more important, like making sure my car is properly maintained. Wanted to buy a Lyr 2, but instead I just bought 4 new tires and did a complete maintenance overhaul. Somewhat feels better knowing everything else is in order before buying headphone gear.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #19 of 24
It compels me to check out my favorite albums and rediscover them in another way of course. But my listening hours won't really change as I spend a few hours most days listening to music - and on weekends watching shows, movies or playing games with them on.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #20 of 24
I was compelled to listen to music even when I had crappy earbuds. I've always been a musician at heart, and it really means a lot to me to listen to my music. It was this urge to listen to music that got me in the audiophile world in the first place.

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #21 of 24
During the day day I often find myself listening to my LG tone pros all morning and all afternoon. Stopping for lunch. And they don't sound bad and they don't hurt my ears. But I find myself imagining how the same music would sound with my fiio e18 and my v-moda md80s. Most evenings my wife gets me in front of the TV and I don't get to the m80's. As I write this I had my m80's on for 3-4 hours and not going to sleep because I am enjoying it. There are a pair of xs. And lp2. Here as well. On occasion I stop mid song to switch up because I start imagining what it would sound like on another pair. That can be pretty compelling

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #22 of 24
For me, music has always been the first thing that i do in the morning , with my cofee.

I am an early riser, so I drink a couple of cups of coffee and listen to a couple of albums, every morning before work.

I also usually listen to a couple of albums before bed.

I have always felt that i have gotten my money's worth out of my gear.

Music soothes my soul.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #23 of 24
  For me, music has always been the first thing that i do in the morning , with my cofee.

I am an early riser, so I drink a couple of cups of coffee and listen to a couple of albums, every morning before work.

I also usually listen to a couple of albums before bed.

I have always felt that i have gotten my money's worth out of my gear.

Music soothes my soul.

I'm with you Whirlwind.  With a house full of people, I rarely get to listen to music through my speakers.  Fortunately, mornings are very quiet here.  There is nothing like starting the day with an intimate jam session courtesy of my headphone & music collection.

Hard day at work?  I tell my beautiful wife I'm going to check out for a few, grab a glass of tequila, fire up the audio system, put on some headphones and relax...

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #24 of 24
I feel more compelled to listen to better recorded/engineered/mastered music when I have better gear.  My listening habits have always been a bit uneven, depending on what's happening in my life.  I tend to gorge on listening, then for whatever reasons, I can go stretches of time when I listen infrequently.  I tend to buy new gear when coming off one of those infrequently listening stretches of time, into the start of a "gorge myself w/ music 'til I puke" period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back