Do you ever get used to hot ears from headphones?
Dec 23, 2020 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Aeneas

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve owned and quickly moved on from a number of closed back over-ears in recent years.

Never finding them totally comfortable is the main reason for moving on. My ears always get hot and I find myself taking them off way more than in-ears. I’ve tried various models and pad materials. It’s winter and I’m feeling warm with AirPods Max and felt the same with Momentum 3, IO6, PX7.

Have I been too impatient? Do you get used to it? Have you been in the same position?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 4
I’ve gone through that with some older headphones and the worst heat was from Sony XB700. The pads were huge and bass type phones. Cheap sound and the pads ended up falling apart, shedding black tiny leatherette pieces all over my ears.

But my Beyerdynamic DT 880 velour pads never get hot or warm. I wear them all day working and love it. Maybe there are nicer leather pads that don’t produce heat but have never experienced. I don’t like in ear buds because they never fit my ears and never stay in. The AirPods Pro are the first ones that seem to work if I’m sitting but walking around they slip out. Every in ear bud I’ve owned same issue so I prefer big headphones instead

Dec 24, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 4
I’ve owned and quickly moved on from a number of closed back over-ears in recent years.

Never finding them totally comfortable is the main reason for moving on. My ears always get hot and I find myself taking them off way more than in-ears. I’ve tried various models and pad materials. It’s winter and I’m feeling warm with AirPods Max and felt the same with Momentum 3, IO6, PX7.

Have I been too impatient? Do you get used to it? Have you been in the same position?
Depends on people and where we live I guess. In my case, the getting used to it is a no. I have one bt closed back headphone that I use maybe 3 times a year because I don't like how sweaty and hot my ears get. Outside I use IEMs.
Check this: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews
They show something called breathability for most reviews with some infrared picture and their own little comments. That might help you try something they consider breathable, and see if even that is too much for you.

Dec 24, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 4
Nope, never did get used to it and frankly it annoys me enough that my HP time is usually under and hour or 2 tops with all of them. I thought IEM's would be a solution and instead i find my inner ear canal will itch to the point where I will pull them and be done after an hour or so too. Thus my preference for 2 channel more often than not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back