Do you EQ your Music?
Jun 22, 2009 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Spawn

Head-Fier
I just got a LOD for my 5G 80GB Ipod and I assumed the EQ would not work, but it does on my unit at least. So how many of you are using the EQ on your player. I do use the EQ with my shures, but not on my base heavy IEMs.

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 62
I am staying away from EQ as far as possible. I like to hear what the sound engineer want us to hear
smily_headphones1.gif
. Sometime EQing do 'break's the balance of the music/song, and sometimes do 'break' the sound too (read as distortion). BTW, it is your equipments and ears, and it is up to you, to control the EQ as long as you are enjoying it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 62
I agree with bakhtiar.

It's also somewhat of a nuisance. If you listen to a wide range of music you would have to constantly change it (depends on the type of EQ).

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 62
Never dared to use EQ on portable players... the distortion gets noticeable.

I do use production-grade (whatever that indicates) EQ in foobar2000, but with the recent
development I no longer need to EQ anymore.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 62
Usually Only to balance out - Increase/cuttoff any frequency's on not particularly well balanced IEM's.

But then Again I suppose EQ does give the listener a certain amount of liberty to increase/decrease any sound they are fond of or not.

But then again again, if you spend allot of time Eq-ing your music maybe your trying to change the sound with the wrong instrument.Instead you should become a musician so you can make or play music exactly as you wish :) ,Equalisation being something that should have been done correctly in the 'producer' mastering stage of recording music .

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 62
I don't because I don't have an Equalizer, except the crappy one on my iPod. But for me, the decision to EQ or not is, itself, colored by the presumption that things are pleasantly flat and full to begin with. I feel no duty to avoid EQ. I believe that if things were truly flat, EQ would be undesirable. But I challenge anyone to find me a speaker or a headphone with a flat frequency response. The point of EQ is to "equalize" what isn't equal.

I agree with the view that the best EQ is having everything doing what it's supposed to be doing. But if you can't change room dynamics, or your equipment spikes and dips in certain frequencies, why wouldn't you want to equalize the situation. The problem with EQ is that it's another layer of artificiality. I don't need the extra hum. I don't want any extra issues of phase. Still, I'm going to use what I can to get a sound that appeals to me. On my M^3, there's a variable bass boost. That, in its own way, is a limited form of EQ. On some tracks, the recording is so bass shy it needs a little help. On the other hand, there are some recordings that need a little less.

One of the added wrinkles is the degree to which recording engineers do different things in the studio than their counterparts did three decades ago. It's not just a difference of technology. Recording engineers are using a lot more compression. They are recording at insanely loud levels, which creates its own havoc when the settings are all different - in the recording itself. My whole system is based on the hope, wish, dream and ideal of getting - in my living room - what the artists, producers and engineers were going for in the studio or on stage. But I'm still the master of my own domain (snicker, snicker) and I know what I like. When the music is too loud, I turn it down. When the bass is anemic, I crank it up (if I can). When the bass is too prominent, I try to tone it down.

I see nothing wrong with taking an honest assessment of your headphone's limitations and making whatever adjustment you need to get the right sound. If that means tinkering with the EQ, that's fine with me. On the other hand, most of the processing on my main stereo and my M^3 goes untouched. Most of the time, those special circuits are made to sell equipment to the easily impressed. Most digital EQs and other special processor tricks I've seen produced changes I didn't want. My only interest in adjusting the dials is to correct something I couldn't correct any other way.

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 62
I don't EQ my Grados because they are actually decent headphones, but I use treble reducer on my iPod with my Sony MDR EX71. They have severely recessed mid range but I can't stand the clipping of vocal booster/spoken word, so I reduce the treble to sort of even it out. I can't hear the bloated bass in noisy environments where I use the EX71s anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back