Do you EQ your Music?
Jun 23, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #46 of 62
Soapbox time. For one, this thread has be done and redone a gazillion times, with much the same results (and it's also in the wrong forum). Why even bother to ask, to be honest? Just do what you feel like doing, because it's the only thing that counts.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #47 of 62
Hardware equalizers are not so much different from audio amps.
And we all like using amps, right?
wink.gif

They both use operational amplifiers, where amps will boost the signal by the factor of gain, while equalizer will target a specific frequency and boost that part with a factor of gain.

Software equalizers are fine too, instead of using op-amps they do it by altering signal with lines of codes.

The difference between software and hardware EQ, really comes down to analog vs digital
deadhorse.gif

However, a proper hardware equalizer, will rape your wallet... while a software one is free
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Facepalm. A low end system with EQ is not the same as high end system without EQ. Not by a mile. You're just trying to sort out the things that low end system does badly. Like trying to mod a boy racer car into a supercar. Can't be done. You could tweak things, but it'll still handle like a castle on wheels.

No need to get defensive...I think we're just misunderstanding each other...I'm not saying you can turn a big wheels into a mustang...it's just not always the most cost effective thing to buy new hardware all the time
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm saying that

1) In certain non-ideal situations, EQ definitely has its. Example: If I'm working out, I tone down high frequencies because they irritate my ears.

2) People who say they don't use EQ because it "ruins" what the engineer/artist intended aren't understanding that MOST music is mixed & mastered to sound the best with the widest array of listening gear possible.

Bottom line, like it was mentioned before, your gear, your ears, your music. Do what you like.

Fair enough?

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Bottom line, like it was mentioned before, your gear, your ears, your music. Do what you like.

Just because you can do what you like doesn't mean it's right...

Colour max, sharpness max, contrast max, motion interpolation on, dynamic contrast on, noise reduction on, auto brightness on, black enhancer on, active colour on, DNI-E on.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Colour max, sharpness max, contrast max, motion interpolation on, dynamic contrast on, noise reduction on, auto brightness on, black enhancer on, active colour on, DNI-E on.

Okay, no prob.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #53 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol. it looks like this is a pointless discussion. iriverdude obviously has his mind made up.

Sorry have no need for EQ, don't use bass treble on either system as they sound great, and another one is straight through no tone controls.

Using EQ is done to try and improve low quality speakers for example if you have PC speakers that are pretty harsh on the top end. If you didn't have harsh sounding speakers you wouldn't need EQ.

Decent gear doesn't need or have tone controls. Naim don't.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

Using EQ is done to try and improve low quality speakers for example if you have PC speakers that are pretty harsh on the top end. If you didn't have harsh sounding speakers you wouldn't need EQ.

Decent gear doesn't need or have tone controls. Naim don't.

That's just false in every aspect. So ER4S or UM3X are low quality IEM's? These are two IEM's that are relatively neutral and flat on response. Some people think with just a pinch of EQ on (perhaps) the low and high end, it takes a perfect sounding neutral IEM and adds just a little (and I mean just a little) color or flavor to it to make it a little more "fun" for an indiscriminating listener. If you find that this "wrecks the sound" that is your opinion but only the ears know what sounds good.

Jun 26, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Becareful clasam, spyro (and others), iriverdude might egg your house if you tell him you like a color that he doesn't....lol

Seriously, though, I've been a LONG time reader of this board, and have been involved with the music industry for decades. I just *HAD TO* register to headfi and reply because I'm sick of you, iriverdude, bullying other people into line with how you think.

But instead of bullying someone into line with my point of view (which is what you do), I'm just going to show how ridiculous your words are.

So to use YOUR own quote, Just because you can do what you like (not using EQ), doesn't mean it's right...

It's an absolutely ridiculous "rule", not to use EQ. I know professional engineers and musicians who use EQ. And yes, on ridiculously expensive Hi Fi gear...McIntosh, Sansui, old Denon, Speck. Should I tell them they're wrong?

It's like saying you can't add salt to a meal you buy at a restaurant, because the chef cooked it a certain way and his way is "best". Or you can't change sparkplugs in a car you buy because that is how things are "meant to be" by the car manufacturer.

Or if that's not relevant enough, let's bring it back to audio and music.

If I understand you correctly, you're calling just about everyone on HeadFi an idiot. Not necessarily because the EQ, but they listen to their music in a way different than what was intended. You're saying everyone who recables their headphones, rolls opamps or tubes, replaces capacitors or performs any number of modifications is a moron, since they are NOT listening/using their amps/dacs/phones/speakers the way that it was created...You're saying anyone who listens to any lossy music is a complete simpleton.

BTW,

You smell.

Sincerely,

All of Head Fi

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #57 of 62
1) If the music is a painting, the sound engineer is the painter, and we the end user is the 'paint lover'.

2) For sure, the painting will be not as natural as the orignal. Example you will never get the same 'picture' of the realworld scenery.

3) The painter will use his/her creativity to make sure the end user will love the painting, by adding some colors, touch-up, use different brushes, canvas, .... Everything that can make the painting acceptable by the end-user

4) The end-user will buy the well painted painting. Similar to a good recording studio with a very good performance.

5) Now, as painting lover POV's. He/She also want to appreciate the painting more, by put at BEST location in his/her house or gallery. What if he/she put it at the garage or near the trash cans?

Now, yes, you can do EQ as you like, because I said previously, your equipments, your ears. EQ is just one of the tools for sound engineers. The are many type of effectors, such as de-esser, exciter, compressor, dynamic expander, compander, noise reducer, BBE, sub-harmonic generator, delay, reverb, phase shifter, pitch shifter, vocoder, ..... wow ...
smily_headphones1.gif
too many. Yes sound engineers do have many tools which alters sound. If they can use it wisely, their recording will be very good, or otherwise
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, it is up to the end-user how they want to listen it. Some like it more bass, some like it more treble and others. Some like it to play with vaccum tube amps or electrostatic speakers. Some listened to it through cheap AM radio, and don't bother anything
smily_headphones1.gif
. Some like to add something to the recording, such as eq, reverb and echo effects to make them more appreciate the recording.

Now, I do appreciate what the sound engineer do. The had done their great work to preserve the great performance for us, the end user.

So, in this topic, I don't have to use EQ, because, I already can appreciate the recording, by having a good playback environment. Also my brain also can do minor adjustment
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #59 of 62
depends which headphones i use, usually to balance out the weaker area of the 'phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back