Do you cycle through hobbies?
Jun 14, 2007 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
I have several gadget interests including cars, computers/gaming, cameras, home theater, watches and even flashlights

I find I'm not really a "multitasking" hobby type of person. I usually seem drawn a lot more to any one hobby, spend all my time on it, researching, budgeting toward it, keep up on every bit of news related to it, and somewhat falling behind on other interests.

For headphones, I seem to have found a good place to rest, and am now building up my HT system (going full HD, upgrading speakers, receivers, sources etc). I haven't bought a nice watch in a couple of years, and I haven't bought a new headphone in a while.

What are you guys currently most preoccupied with?

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 28
Time and/or money are always the 'limiting factors' regarding hobbies. Even though I have many, I tend to spend time on any 2 or 3 given hobbies at once, then drop them, and try others. Quality is always better than quanitity. For example, these days i'm into Amateur Radio (Ham Radio), High-end audio/music, and Gardening/landscaping. As a full-time, stay-at-home dad to a 22 month old, I have no time for my *other* hobbies!

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 28
I have one, really - MUSIC. It takes many many forms, such as listening to it, or playing it, etc - but I consider it all one thing in my mind, because it's something that I don't "do for a living" that makes life worth living, hehe! Even the video games I play are mostly music oriented, like Guitar Hero.

I have to admit getting sucked into that flashlight thing long enough to buy one LED, but that was that. I can't even find that thing now, I use my eveready lantern instead.

I do watch anime, but is that a hobby? For me it just takes the place of TV, since my wife took over total control of the remote years ago.

Oh, I did get into biking, but only long enough to get set up with a bike I'm happy with, and now I just pedal around when I have the time - it's more of a convenience thing than a hobby.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 28
Nah not really, I generally take up a hobby and keep it. Music performance, computers, photography, headphones...it's all stuff I still do today. I may stop upgrading or whatever (I haven't done anything to my comp in about a year) but that doesn't stop me from retaining knowledge and being able to pick it up where I left off whenever I want.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 28
I find that i cycle through hobbies very easily. That doesnt mean to say i dont enjoy all my hobbies, but i tent to get attracted to new things very often, spend heaps of time learning and researching, and once i have learnt my fill i may find something new...

It seems to be characteristic for many aspects of my life, where i tend to get slightly bored with keeping with the options. However having said that, there are many places/hobbies i find safe and secure, kind of like a safety blanket
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 28
I don't have the time for much more than part time hobbies, Headhones is one, but I do most of my listening at work. My computer has stayed the same for over a year (longest ever), and my Home theatre is as big as my wife will allow. My car, well that's pretty much used at weekends onlt nowadays.I find most of my time is spent doing stuff with/for my wife and lil toddler these days. Oddly, cash isn't too much of an issue now, but time, well there's never enough of that is there?

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 28
I cycle hobbies alotttt. Back in High School, I was into cars and computers. In college, I was into console games and model building. Now I'm into headphones (speakers soon?) and photography. Though I still use headphones daily, I'm not as into it as I was a few months back (I think it was super gear envy then. I still have it, but not as bad). Right now, I'm really into photography, but am about to go into another hobby.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 28
I have a few. I enjoy HT, went all out and bought an HD set (50" Sony a2000 1080p), HD sat, new receiver, the 360 for video games etc...but I'm still debating over buying an HD player (either BRD or HD-Dvd)

I also am getting into off roading. The only thing really holding me back is budget...it's very expensive. I'm running a stock 06 wrangler TJ, although it is a sport and does have the dana 44 rear axle and upgraded tires (30") and brakes...

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 28
I stick with the main ones but do tend to cycle quite a bit in the minor ones. All things audio, and some things video, interest me. So there is 2 channel audio, headphones, and home theater, plus portable audio. Music is a big part of my life and always will be.

Then there are digital cameras and camcorders and all sorts of other electronic and mechanical devices (even watches) to learn about, but I don't really have a passion for any of it as such.

I used to be big into golf, but then dropped it completely one day. I've tried scuba diving but it doesn't interest me enough to become a fanatic. I've gone back and forth with exercising (and exercise equipment) in every imaginable way, and have had great interest in diet and nutrition at various points in my life. But this too fades and then cycles back.

I've been known to read dozens of novels and other books of interest on practically any topic every year for 3 or 4 years, and then suddenly quit reading except for the newpaper for a couple of years, then get back into the cycle where one book leads to another and then I'm finding myself in Barnes & Noble all the time again.

Now I'm getting into cars and in particular the Ariel Atom. I'll be picking my baby up in mid July in Oregon and driving it to Florida (although I'll probably get a tow vehicle and trailer of some sort). This purchase has led to all sorts of interests that I didn't even realize that I had. I doubt that I'll ever become a gear head as such, but I'm learning a lot and enjoying the company of the good folks at The Atom Club. There are seemingly zillions of accesories and gizmos that you can get for a car like this, plus it's fun to drool at the pics of new carbon fiber parts that the factory is developing.

I think it's all part of life. Some people are "Steady Eddie" types and others have a wander lust. I'm much more inclined to be moving (always travelling), changing, experimenting and learning new things than most people. This is probably why I've cycled through more degree programs, career paths, cities, states, countries and women (in terms of relationships) that I even care to remember.

As for women, it's hard for them to ever understand me because I'm always changing, so it's not really their fault. I've got the attention span of a gnat, but otherwise life would be dull.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 28
Forgot that I'm big into golf too. I've probably got about 20-25 rounds under my belt this year. Nothing beats taking the top down on the JEEP and driving into the outskirts of the city to play a round...love it...

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 28
I collect Transformers. Is that a hobby? I'm not sure it is. I read alot about it and that alone takes up alot of my time, but once I receive a new Transformer, I transform it once or twice (depends on which mode I want to display it), then never touch it again, until I have to dust that area of my room, lol.

I also used to be very into bowling, but that stopped, much like Wmcmanus' golfing hobby.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 28
I too have many hobbies, but the only two that I'm currently active in are cars/drag racing and headphones. I've been into cars for nearly all my life but don't always actively invest in that hobby as racing parts are quite expensive. Also I don't always have enough free time to spend racing and tuning cars these day as I once used to. Headphones is a cheaper hobby for me compared to cars. It can bring me hours of listening enjoyment and relaxation when I'm not at the race track.

Kite/stunt kite flying would be another hobby that I part take in but not as often as the other two I've previously mentioned. Lack of time and the crowded field conditions at the parks near where I live makes it difficult for me to get in some quality airtime. When I had first gotten into kite flying, I used to put in an average of 4 hrs or more everyday flying. I used to go out flying in all conditions, even in the darkness of night. Sadly I no longer have an abundance of free time that would allow me to get that amount of airtime anymore.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 28
i also find myself cycling through hobbies. probably because i'm still young and in college, so i don't have enough money to keep up in all my hobbies at once. the main ones i cycle through are computers, photography, and headphones. i used to also be big into shoes but that one kinda just fell off as i rounded out my collection. at the moment, i find myself primarily concerned with headphones... but i have a feeling that it will slow down a bit once i receive my Darths if i find myself absolutely in love
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back