Do you all get distortion listening to this?
Sep 26, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #31 of 40
Plenty of distortion from the microphone here, a little sloppy on their part. They might appreciate an e-mail bringing up the issue, I certainly can't imagine they intended to have that in their recording. None of the other recordings I have listened to had any issues.

I'm running the following system.

MacBook Pro Early 2008
OSX Lion 10.7.1 (64 bit)
VLC Player
Focusrite Saffier Pro 24 (24b/96kHz)
Meier Audio Corda HA-2 MKII
Sennheiser HD650

That distortion caused by clipping from the microphone/pre-amp is definitely something in the track, not sure why anyone wouldn't hear it as it is quite prominent and to me stands out very much. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #32 of 40
Clipping galore, really bad, big time

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #33 of 40
Integrater Realtek ALC272x, old Sony receiver and cheap Philips headphones, the distortion is very clear but only on the left channel.

Please don't hate on the equipment.

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #34 of 40
Re-visiting this, just listening from my laptop's internal speakers at 50% volume, I can't hear much distoration. But, crank up the speakers on the ol HT and it sounds like fingernails on a chalk board.

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #35 of 40
I hear some unnatural shrillness at 0:26-0:28 and 0:30 especially. Is that the distortion you describe?

Here's my audio setup/chain.

WAV file -> foobar2000 ASIO output -> Auzentech X-Fi Forte, Audio Creation Mode, bit-matched -> Onkyo TX-SV515PRO -> Stax SRD-7/SB -> Stax SR-Lambda

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #36 of 40

Quote:
Re-visiting this, just listening from my laptop's internal speakers at 50% volume, I can't hear much distoration. But, crank up the speakers on the ol HT and it sounds like fingernails on a chalk board.

I find it harder to detect clipping in general on my laptop speakers also, but I think it's because they're too crappy to make it noticeable.

Quote:
I hear some unnatural shrillness at 0:26-0:28 and 0:30 especially. Is that the distortion you describe?

Here's my audio setup/chain.

WAV file -> foobar2000 ASIO output -> Auzentech X-Fi Forte, Audio Creation Mode, bit-matched -> Onkyo TX-SV515PRO -> Stax SRD-7/SB -> Stax SR-Lambda

The distortion should sound like clipping. The flute is very shrill, but that itself wouldn't be considered distortion. Maybe that's what the blowhard means by "complex tonal resolution".
rolleyes.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #37 of 40
Yeah i noticed clipping...Hdmi from my computer to an external sound card and amp to two Klipsch RB 62 II...

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #38 of 40

Quote:
The distortion should sound like clipping. The flute is very shrill, but that itself wouldn't be considered distortion. Maybe that's what the blowhard means by "complex tonal resolution".
rolleyes.gif

Problem is, I'm not entirely sure what clipping is supposed to sound like...but setting the X-Fi volume to 100 and the equalizer anywhere above neutral, on any frequency, results in some nasty distortion that's also a bit harsh-sounding, as if it were indeed being clipped.

The shrill points in this recording don't sound like that kind of EQ clipping distortion, though. It's somewhat more like what you hear when you blow directly into a microphone and the microphone input feeds back into your output (probably because you've configured it that way).

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #40 of 40
I definitely hear some distortion, and it does sound like clipping. All my devices are external also. Foobar 2k WASAPI > optical out > Reference 9 > Phonitor > HD800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back