Do you all get distortion listening to this?
Sep 23, 2011 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

thrillhaus

100+ Head-Fier
Ever since I upgraded my Xonar DG to an X-Fi Titanium HD, I've been noticing a lot more clipping in my FLAC and MP3 files. It's usually just a click here and there, and not every file has it. At first I thought it might be the card, or the notoriously bad Creative drivers, but comparing back to the Xonar, and my motherboard's onboard audio, I hear the clipping in the exact same places. Replay gain does nothing, so my theory was that the files themselves were bad rips.

However, listening to the following track, I get a subtle but noticeable bit of distortion on some of the louder flute passages.

File: http://www.nuforce.com/hp/media/Nuforce%20Demo1/09%20-%20ComplexTonalResolution.wav
Page: http://www.nuforce.com/hp/media/Nuforce%20Demo1/index.php

I wouldn't expect Nuforce to make the careless mistake of letting distortion into their demo tracks, but if the problem isn't the source, I have no idea what it is. I don't think it's my headphones as I hear the distortion in both my HD555 and D2000, with the gain turned way down. Am I the only one who is hearing this?

EDIT: Listen closely from 0:25-0:28, that's where the distortion is most obvious for me.

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 40
For some reason, the file is not loading here.
confused.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:
For some reason, the file is not loading here.
confused.gif

Try clicking on the link from the website directly.

Quote:
Yes I'm getting distortion on that file. Using HE-6.

Quote:
using LCD2s and im gettign clipping as well. 

Can I get some info on your setups? The two instances of no clipping so far have been with external devices. Also, is everyone using a 64-bit OS?

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #14 of 40
Yes, I have Windows 7 64-bit. I didn't need any special drivers for my external usb device either.

With ulilith I used WASAPI to send it right to the sound card and bypass everything else.

For the record, I tried this with foobar2000 too...no differences.

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 40
Yea there's some audible clipping heard here and there from the flute for me too. 

Audigy 2 ZS -> ZO -> foobar2000 (kx mixer not bypassed) on Win 7 64bit -> my headphones 

0:26-0:28, 0:31, 0:34, 0:39, 0:41 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back