do WOMEN like HEAD-FI??
Feb 7, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #121 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The real question is: Do you have nice cans??
tongue.gif

Anyone who wants to see my nice cans need only look at my user profile. 
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #123 of 170

Quote:
Quote:
The universal phrase that applies to both head-fiers and women: "Nice Cans."

Anybody who says "nice cans" to me darn well better be talking about my headphones! 

Sigh, A thousand male headfi'ers jump on this comment for the corny puns.

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #124 of 170
It's strange because women are no less aesthetes than men.  All I know is that when my wife puts on my W100s and Earmax Pro, she just gets a serene smile and I can't talk to her for a good hour.

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #125 of 170

Quote:
It's strange because women are no less aesthetes than men.  All I know is that when my wife puts on my W100s and Earmax Pro, she just gets a serene smile and I can't talk to her for a good hour.

I like that word.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #128 of 170
I actually find the "corny puns" somewhat amusing, if only because I imagine some of these guys saying it out loud. I dunno, I have a small modicum of respect for a dude who will sacrifice his dignity for the sake of a pick up line.

Unless he's serious. Then it's mostly just sad. Still funny though.

What I find far less agreeable than the puns is the [slightly] more veiled sexism that goes on at head-fi. Comments about "wife approval factor" to describe how sparkly a piece of equipment is, for example.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #129 of 170
Oh, so I'm "corny" now ??!!! 
mad.gif
---->
biggrin.gif

lol maybe so, I try to never take myself too seriously.

Alexis,

I'll leave your(other) cans out of the discussion from this point on.
beyersmile.png

As for the "wife approval factor", I can see where there could be problems if a guy wants to stack speakers 5' high in the living room but if he's got any sense of style there shouldn't be much issue with a sensible system. The other option is to have a dedicated HT/music  room where it's "all his". There's plenty of evidence of those systems here...or most likely those guys are single.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #130 of 170

Quote:
mad.gif
---->
biggrin.gif

Alexis,

beyersmile.png

As for the "wife approval factor", I can see where there could be problems if a guy wants to stack speakers 5' high in the living room but if he's got any sense of style there shouldn't be much issue with a sensible system. The other option is to have a dedicated HT/music  room where it's "all his". There's plenty of evidence of those systems here...or most likely those guys are single.

^^ probably,

but the sexism (imo) is that the guy's got to "trick" his wife into accepting his new gear. In the real world, couples work out their different hobbies (obsessions) and so there's discussion, not trickery, but to treat her like the little woman who's only going to like gear if it's pretty, that's bogus. And playing to an audience that's (implicitly) thinking about women as non-technical, only interested in pretty stuff, and (sorta) non-intellectual.  That grates.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #131 of 170
You';d think there would be more women especially since they are more sensitive to their, um, senses?!  Really,  I've looked at a couple charts, but the advice is great (if you can take the soul ripping comments from the "oldies).  I spent a thousand since I've been here-really a thousand MORE than I would have spent.  I thank you all... while my husband curses you all.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #132 of 170

Just get attractive tube gear.  Everyone I've ever shown my tube gear has gone "Oooohh, it's so pretty!"

Quote:
mad.gif
---->
biggrin.gif

Alexis,

beyersmile.png

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #133 of 170

Quote:

but the sexism (imo) is that the guy's got to "trick" his wife into accepting his new gear. In the real world, couples work out their different hobbies (obsessions) and so there's discussion, not trickery, but to treat her like the little woman who's only going to like gear if it's pretty, that's bogus. And playing to an audience that's (implicitly) thinking about women as non-technical, only interested in pretty stuff, and (sorta) non-intellectual.  That grates.

Any more sexist than my attempts to convince my husband that, say, that $500 camera lens will ABSOLUTELY be worth it, because of all the amazing pics of the kids I can get? Or that I should TOTALLY start making cards, because we will save SO much money by not buying Hallmark ones? :) (Incidentally, I now refuse to make any cards for any member of his family, because they just toss aside my lovingly handmade ones, while laughing hysterically over lame store-bought ones.)

I think it's sort of a marital "game" to try to convince the other that one is totally NOT spending too much on a hobby, for whatever lame reason we can come up with :)

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #134 of 170

Quote:
Quote:

Any more sexist than my attempts to convince my husband that, say, that $500 camera lens will ABSOLUTELY be worth it, because of all the amazing pics of the kids I can get? Or that I should TOTALLY start making cards, because we will save SO much money by not buying Hallmark ones? :) (Incidentally, I now refuse to make any cards for any member of his family, because they just toss aside my lovingly handmade ones, while laughing hysterically over lame store-bought ones.)

I think it's sort of a marital "game" to try to convince the other that one is totally NOT spending too much on a hobby, for whatever lame reason we can come up with :)

It's totally a marital game to convince the SO that the new toy is a good investment, completely cheap, entirely necessary, a great deal, and so on. But there's a lack of symmetry in the number of posts of  male Head-fier's talking about man caves and hiding gear from wives, who don't get it; not-to-mention the environment in which the conversations takes place. I'm betting that people reading about you persuading your husband about the new lens is going to think simply that he's not into photography. They won't ascribe something basic about him being a guy, they way that posters have opined that women aren't into hi-fi gear because: we're into clothes, not into DIY, not technical, not obsessive, more social, you name the stereotype.

So short version, yeah, it's different.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #135 of 170

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's totally a marital game to convince the SO that the new toy is a good investment, completely cheap, entirely necessary, a great deal, and so on. But there's a lack of symmetry in the number of posts of  male Head-fier's talking about man caves and hiding gear from wives, who don't get it; not-to-mention the environment in which the conversations takes place. I'm betting that people reading about you persuading your husband about the new lens is going to think simply that he's not into photography. They won't ascribe something basic about him being a guy, they way that posters have opined that women aren't into hi-fi gear because: we're into clothes, not into DIY, not technical, not obsessive, more social, you name the stereotype.

So short version, yeah, it's different.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was referring to by mentioning the "wife approval factor." You put it rather eloquently.

Like you stated, I've seen people using the "WAF" as a means of describing how much attention has gone into dressing up certain products, making them aesthetically eye-catching with certain shiny materials, and so on and so forth. As if these guys' wives couldn't possible appreciate the piece of hardware on any technical level. It paints a picture of women as stereotypically superficial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back