Do we still need Variomotion type diaphragms?
Sep 9, 2014 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

marcswede

100+ Head-Fier
When AKG introduced the variomotion technology (speaker diaphragm with dual density/velocity) it was a revolutionary way to expand the frequency range. Mind you, this was in the age of ferrite magnets where 20-20000Hz was a not so easy task to accomplish. This technology has since been adopted by most manufacturers, it seems. Sometimes under other names but mostly quietly copied.

Today, utilizing neodym magnets of ever-increasing size, the reproduced range of a dynamic driver can extend well beyond the limits of human hearing.

Sony's new flagship mdr Z7: 3-100 000Hz. Me like. But shouldn't there be other priorities too?

Mids, anyone?

My basic question is twofold:

Has the quality and musicality of the mids increased with the expanded frequency range of modern neodymium drivers?

Are the variomotion varietes really The Free Lunch of extending the frequency range, or could it be that the mids pay a price for the dual response Variomotion type of diaphragm?

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 4
Sony's new flagship mdr Z7: 3-100 000Hz. Me like. But shouldn't there be other priorities too?

be careful with that kind of commercial specs. sony headphones have always shown dubious specs while really being nothing special (not bad, just not able to warm your meal sending microwaves ^_^.
I have a few sony IEMs here, I just googled a crappy one the XBA-1 and sony specs shows: Frequency Response : 5 - 25,000 Hz
lol
if I was to rate it I would say the trebles are ok up to 10khz and you have pretty much nothing at all after 14khz. so 25khz... what a load of crap. they clearly measure how they want and don't care about how low the roll off gets.

the frequency range of a headphone is probably the most useless spec you can read on a box as it is almost never right. and it is still a very real problem for any driver to extend without roll off and/or too much distortion. usually one trick comes with some secondary effect, else obviously everybody would do it.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 4
Grado advertises their $79 SR60 as 20 Hz to 20 kHz. They advertise their $1,695 PS1000 as 5 Hz to 50 kHz. Extension past 100 Hz and 10 kHz is virtually identical. Not to rag on them specifically; every manufacturer does it.

Published frequency response specs don't mean much, even if we could hear the frequencies they claim.

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 4

Impedance and Sensitivity IMO are far more important than frequency response range. However, frequency response graph from 20 - 20000 Hz is really important and gives "good enough" albeit a bit misleading impression on the headphone sound signature. Manufacturers give frequency response data just to add to the marketing of higher end headphones in their line-up.

Sony MDR V6 has 5 - 30000 Hz but the extreme treble tones and extreme bass tones are indistinguishable from 10 - 20000 Hz Sony 7506.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back