do voltage converters affect sq?
Nov 26, 2008 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

theeviljesus

New Head-Fier
Hello

Here in Switzerland we have 230V / 50Hz. Would be unwise to use a DAC which needs 110/120V 60Hz combined with a voltage converter? I'm quite sure it would work, but are there affects on the sq?

Your advise is much appreciated!

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 6
Whilst I've no actual experience, I've read that voltage convertors do have a negative impact upon SQ. I'd be inclined to find a DAC with a switchable voltage for use in multiple countries.

The only positive unit I've read about for voltage conversion is kit like the PS Audio power packs, which rebuild a new voltage to try to attempt to eliminate mains issues. Of course they're far from cheap.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 6
Oddly enough I've been running my Zero DAC at 110v in the UK through a 220-110v convertor (in an attempt to calm down the transformer buzz) - can't be sure if it sounds better due to the reduced mental stress from less buzz, or if it does just sound better!

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 6
I read a thread here a couple of days ago where someone asked almost the same question. Consensus was that it does and it's best not to use converters.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for all your replies! Well I think the easist way is to avoid the combination if possible
biggrin.gif

@BigTony: That sure is odd. I really didn't expect such an answer
wink.gif

@apatN: sorry didn't see that

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back