Do tubes like the maverick A1, littledot2/3 or Caliente can soften this brightness on Grado's? Is this a good thing or not?
Nov 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Brumagician99

Head-Fier
Do tubes like the maverick A1, littledot2/3 or Caliente can soften this brightness on Grado's? Is this a good thing or not? Personal preference?

Does the warmth of tube detract from the grado signiture sound in a +tive way? Good balances acheived?

People who have one of the above plus sr80i/sr125i let me know!!

Also any other advisory tubes or SS amps?

Cheers

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Depends on the tube you're using good tubes will and other tubes will make it sound even worse.  The Caliente won't soften the brightness, it is only a candle flame warmer than the kicas.  But, MS1i and HF-2 Vixen sound great out of the Caliente, imo.  If you don't like the brightness, I would think it would be more beneficial to get a different set of headphones than an amplifier.

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 5
I've tried the SR60, SR80, and MS1's with the maverick A1 and absolutely loved it.  It added depth which almost all grados lack, and it definitely softened the brightness =]  Highly recommended.

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 5
If you pick up an OTL, make sure it doesn't have an output impedance higher than 32 Ohms - they don't play well with Grados. If you want to run tubes, look for an amp with output transformers.

There are a handful of OTLs with low output impedance, but they are the exception. The majority won't be a good match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back