Do tubes are like wine ?
Feb 25, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 29
Are you asking that old stagnant air in the tube or old wiring will sound different?

If the answer to that question is true, that's hilarious.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a newbie question. I can see a wide range of price for this tube VOSHOD 6J1P-EV. Does it mean that it's like wine : some years or bottles are better than others ?

Yes, some years are better than others.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Does it mean that it's like wine

No, tubes are like a woman.
They are hot, cost me lots of money, and make me fall in love.
Worst of all, it is hard to settle down with just one.
No matter how good I have got it, I just keep yearning for something better.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 29
Generally, some prefer nos tubes from the 1950's/60's aka golden age of tubes. There is far more to it though, so use the search button.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 29
Many of the nowdays tubes have better specs, are made of better materials, and are less microphonic than many old tubes, you may like that sound of an old tube, but you can get very good sound from nowadays productions as well (sometimes the preference of an old tube is another audio myth) Also some of the so preffered tubes of the past were not even designed for audio, were designed for military use, what makes them more precise in the tolerances, and manufacture, but not sure how good or bad were designed/considered by the manufacturers for audio use...
If you want you can ask some of the manufacturers of tube amps we have around (Ray, Woo, etc...) no today manufacturer can based any design and set the parameters of any tube amp, bias adjustments, etc...based in the performance and specs of old inexistent tubes, as there is no availability for that purpose. And in the opinion of many designers, there is no better tube for a given amp, than the tube the amp was designed around, and tuned and adjusted for...just a different opinion on the topic...and not expecting anybody to agree or disagree, OK?...Those are measurable facts...
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL..a sig worthy post
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

This is a newbie question. I can see a wide range of price for this tube VOSHOD 6J1P-EV. Does it mean that it's like wine : some years or bottles are better than others ?

Some of the newer tubes sound great, some of them sound absolutely terrible. Some I have given away so I never had to listen again.

Back in the old days, there were some tube manufacturing companies that crushed as many as 75% of the tubes they produced to maintain uber quality. I can assure you that companies in Russia/China have no such interest (maybe less than 10% get tossed). This is why you will sometimes find guitar output tube sellers classifying their tubes as hot/cool/average, since there is so much variability in cathode current at a given operating point. Compare that to new old stock Western Electric 300B's and you won't have a hard time making a matched pair out of 3 random tubes.

For the 6J1P, go for the 6AK5 instead. Telefunkens/Mullards are $40 each and should last a very, very long time.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #10 of 29
I just like the way they glow. I have not started tube rolling, but I prefer to wait and keep using the 6J1 tubes I have atm. (Unless i find a great deal, or a good reason to do so)

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many of the nowdays tubes have better specs, are made of better materials, and are less microphonic than many old tubes, you may like that sound of an old tube, but you can get very good sound from nowadays productions as well (sometimes the preference of an old tube is another audio myth) Also some of the so preffered tubes of the past were not even designed for audio, were designed for military use, what makes them more precise in the tolerances, and manufacture, but not sure how good or bad were designed/considered by the manufacturers for audio use...
If you want you can ask some of the manufacturers of tube amps we have around (Ray, Woo, etc...) no today manufacturer can based any design and set the parameters of any tube amp, bias adjustments, etc...based in the performance and specs of old inexistent tubes, as there is no availability for that purpose. And in the opinion of many designers, there is no better tube for a given amp, than the tube the amp was designed around, and tuned and adjusted for...just a different opinion on the topic...and not expecting anybody to agree or disagree, OK?...Those are measurable facts...
tongue_smile.gif

I would love to see these measureable facts. Would you care to share them? I am convinced new tube production is clearly inferior in terms of sound quality and reliability. Furthermore, RSA and Woo DO use NOS tubes in their designs.

Raptor /B52 .... 5687

Woo 6 .... 6DE7

Woo 3 .... 6AS7/ 6080

Some tubes used in these amps are still in production .... 12AU7/ 6922/ 5U4G. But, take a look at the tuberolling threads and it is easy to determine which tubes people use.

Hint: not the new production versions.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Amazing analogy!! I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back