Do the Westones kick even the UE11's ass!?
Dec 5, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #76 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the ES2 has better bass, but honestly the bass is just fine on either headphone. The W3 has more upper bass emphasis, and its bass tends to sound fuller on more mellow material. The ES2's bass has more depth and slam, but is also tighter and more recording-dependent.

I wasn't attacking Blutarsky. My intentions were to dispel the W3 > ES2 rumor before it had a chance to get a foothold, though it may be too late. The W3 is good but not that good.

I understand, but I wanted to take full responsibility for starting the rumor - I should have let Bluto post his own impressions instead of relaying them.

I'm going to skip the ES2 and might go straight to the Westone 3 Customs when they become available... The only other headphone I am interested in is the HE90 which I will never afford, and I'm curious about the UE11Pro and HE Audio Jade, but I don't need any new stuff at all really.

The funny thing is since I got the Westone 3 and started using my UM56 custom tips, I have been listening to them more than any of my full size headphones, which is unusual for me because I tend to prefer a full size phone for their additional comfort and soundstage. I coulda saved $7000 on my O2 and HE60 phones and associated amps/DAC, and just used these W3 with my Pico or Predator.

Not.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #77 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to skip the ES2 and might go straight to the Westone 3 Customs when they become available... The only other headphone I am interested in is the HE90 which I will never afford, and I'm curious about the UE11Pro and HE Audio Jade, but I don't need any new stuff at all really.

I think that's a good idea, though I'll also toss the UE11 into consideration there. I'm waiting for the exact same thing. Westone did announce that they have no intentions of doing a custom version of the W3, but they do have another custom in the works that they're not releasing anything about just yet. So, I'll wait until I know more about it to decide which custom to get next.

The ES2 is better than the W3 but if you like what you have now then there is no point in getting something that you can't sell and something that will get outclassed rather quickly as new models come in. I bought mine out of desperation since I didn't have a single portable I liked. It turned out to be one of the best audio purchases I've made, but at the time it seemed pretty risky. If I had the W3 at the time, I probably would have stopped right there.

I may get the custom sleeves for the W3. Maybe they will close the gap, who knows...

Dec 5, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #78 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone did announce that they have no intentions of doing a custom version of the W3, but they do have another custom in the works that they're not releasing anything about just yet.

I smell four drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back