Do the Westones kick even the UE11's ass!?
Dec 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #46 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, when I'm throwing $400 around, I would like to make sure, alright?

Buy from somewhere with a 14 or 30 day return policy?

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #47 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still on page 1 of 3, so this might have been answered further on - but I recall EyeAmEye has both the UE11pro and Westone 3 and he feels the Westone 3 with cut down/modified triple flange tips are the closest IEM to UE11Pro he has heard; and rated them just slightly behind the UE11Pro and in 2nd place due to the treble not being quite as good on the W3.

I think he liked the bass control and levels better on the W3, but felt the sound of a particular guitar was not quite what he remembers the real thing sounding like. He has a recording of a guitar that he was present during the recording, and said the UE11Pro sounds more like the real guitar than the W3 due to improved treble on the UE11Pro. Now, that guitar comment was using Complys foam tips and he has switched to a better tip since then.

You have the first paragraph correct, and I do feel they trail the UE11 by a hair after cutting down the triflange and the stem.

The second paragraph was someone else (don't remember who) commenting on acoustic guitar sounds on your W3 thread.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #48 of 78
Either way, it seems that the the 10s and 11s are clearly waaaay overpriced considering that some very legitimate members prefered the E500s over them back when they were in their FOTM stage, which oddly enough got more hype the the W3s initial blast... maybe it's because not enough people have the 3s yet.

The one thing that I can probably count on is that I would prefer the W3s to the Shures and I don't doubt that the very legitimate reviews put the W3s as better overall for most people... The shures are great except for the treble roll off which is a big problem for me - almost to the point where I think the Ety ER4s is on par with them.

I still worry about the lack of treble even as downplayed as it gets on the W3s.

The shure E500s sound great until symbols are splashed and are barely audible. Or violins sound like violas because the highs aren't there. It would seem that the sparkle which the Ety's nail (and from what I read the UE11s nail), are still a bit rolled off on the W3s. I realise the treble is sounds great and all that... but for us treble guys (K1000, GS-1000 owner, and stax fan - Senns bore me, see a pattern here?), what is the raw verdict here?

For me personally, I'm not looking to spend 1/2 a grand for a slightly better E500... give me treble dammit and don't make me pay $1,200 for it on the go
tongue.gif

I'd like to hear more about that since I don't doubt the bass is better and the midrange is about on par, and overall SQ is a bit above the E500

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #49 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have the first paragraph correct, and I do feel they trail the UE11 by a hair after cutting down the triflange and the stem.

The second paragraph was someone else (don't remember who) commenting on acoustic guitar sounds on your W3 thread.

Right, the second guy is maybe an ER4S owner or something, maybe one of those crazy aussies we love so much
biggrin.gif

Ahh! ZephyrSapphire must be the one.

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #51 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by noremedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an interesting debate. I currently own a pair of 530's and my next jump will be to customs. I don't think any universal is capable of achieving custom quality at this stage. However, my opinion is that of my own.

I almost tend to think of my Westone 3 with custom UM056 tips as being a custom, and it does beat my Livewires customs, Freq Show customs and SE530 hard shell customs. Does that make the W3 the "custom quality" you speak of?

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #52 of 78
You don't think dual bore vs single bore affects the sound?

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #53 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still worry about the lack of treble even as downplayed as it gets on the W3s.

The shure E500s sound great until symbols are splashed and are barely audible. Or violins sound like violas because the highs aren't there. It would seem that the sparkle which the Ety's nail (and from what I read the UE11s nail), are still a bit rolled off on the W3s. I realise the treble is sounds great and all that... but for us treble guys (K1000, GS-1000 owner, and stax fan - Senns bore me, see a pattern here?), what is the raw verdict here?

Rolled off highs? Really? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.... I've heard "more laid back" depending on which tips you have, but not rolled. Where (in terms of frequency) did anyone say they roll off? Has to be well after the SE530/E500 based on the comments I've read.

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #54 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been quite a while since I owned the Shure SE530, but I will state with a certainty the Westone 3 has superior SQ. The Shure SE530 might have a more pleasing midrange, but it's not a huge difference. The bass on the Westone 3 is better, and the treble trounces it. No contest at all.

Completely agree with you. The W3 are unquestionably superior to the SE530 (IMHO). At first you think the midrange of the SE530 is better but after a couple of hours with the W3 you realize that the midrange does not shine because the lows and highs are so incredible but it is smooth and laid back producing a very balanced sound signature.

And the W3 is very close to UE11 in SQ so they are comparable. I would suggest anyone to save U$800 and get the W3. For me the biggest difference between W3 and UE11 is the soundstage. Another difference (but a slightly one) would be the UE11 having a little bit more spark in the treble.

For the W3 I'm using the triflange modded to a single one and it works wonders. Perfect seal. Also I get a great seal with the large grey silicone tips. I don't plan to get the UM56 since I already have a pair of customs!

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #55 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rolled off highs? Really? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.... I've heard "more laid back" depending on which tips you have, but not rolled. Where (in terms of frequency) did anyone say they roll off? Has to be well after the SE530/E500 based on the comments I've read.

How else would you get "laid back" highs if they don't roll off? To what degree they roll off is what I'm wondering. Are symbols soft? Do violins soar like they do with etys? That's what I'm wondering...

Here's a comment that has me wondering from another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd risk myself to say that the highs of the W3 are as equally rolled off as the Shure model. The Westone 3 does everything else better though.

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #56 of 78
Once I went customs universal iems are no longer comfortable. It feels like something is not supposed to be in my ear. I just can not find universal comfortable any more.

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #57 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by no9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although Westone's universals are great, even with custom tips it would be hard to pwn the Ue 11. Perhaps the Westone ES3 would be a better comparison

Nope. The ES3 is not great for personal listening (just being honest). It has a bump of about 2-4dB in the 3-5k range so the mids are in your face. On-stage use (guitar vocals) is where it's at for the ES3.

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #58 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How else would you get "laid back" highs if they don't roll off?

Recessed.

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, the second guy is maybe an ER4S owner or something, maybe one of those crazy aussies we love so much
biggrin.gif

Ahh! ZephyrSapphire must be the one.

Yep should be me.
tongue.gif
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back