Do the Westones kick even the UE11's ass!?
Dec 4, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #31 of 78
im a se530 fanboy and proud!!
evil_smiley.gif
woohoo, im a fan because i like em is this a crime?

theres appreciation threads for every new set of IEM's released, the sleek sa6 got a huge appreciation thread even tho most would agree its ''just another IEM'' nothing special really.

the ue11 again got a following but not so big due to price, the point is ''its just another IEM''

same for triple fi 10 and shure se530 and etymotic er4p, but my point is just because theres an appreciation thread it dont mean they are wow inducing iem's, the fact is ''they are just another IEM'' and i was expecting them to be number 1 in every way over the se530 and triple fi 10 but instead it seems they are not better or worse they just do some things better and some worse, ''just like every other IEM in this price range!'' hence...theyre a little dissapointing where im sitting and i wont be buying until i get a test first thats for sure, i dont want it to just be a little better than the shures otherwise its just a great big hype once again about ''just another IEM'' i want them to blow away the shures and ultimate ears and as of yet ive read no proof that these are quite doing that.

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #32 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

theres appreciation threads for every new set of IEM's released, the sleek sa6 got a huge appreciation thread even tho most would agree its ''just another IEM'' nothing special really.

the ue11 again got a following but not so big due to price, the point is ''its just another IEM''

same for triple fi 10 and shure se530 and etymotic er4p, but my point is just because theres an appreciation thread it dont mean they are wow inducing iem's, the fact is ''they are just another IEM'' and i was expecting them to be number 1 in every way over the se530 and triple fi 10 but instead it seems they are not better or worse they just do some things better and some worse, ''just like every other IEM in this price range!'' hence...theyre a little dissapointing where im sitting and i wont be buying until i get a test first thats for sure, i dont want it to just be a little better than the shures otherwise its just a great big hype once again about ''just another IEM'' i want them to blow away the shures and ultimate ears and as of yet ive read no proof that these are quite doing that.

They won't blow the Shure's away in your opinion I believe, being a self-confessed "fanboy", but to those objective, they more likely than not will do just that.

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #33 of 78
I'm with you, jinx.

So far from what i read, W3 is not the best universal iem. I cant give comment on it until i heard it myself.

Btw, perfect sounding iem wont exist. It's impossible. Look at full size can. Any single perfect can?

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #34 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001
i cant believe the hype over the westone 3, awww its amazing, awwww its perfect, etc etc etc.

yet when asked if it competes with the ue11 its a resounding no!. i mean the ue11 has been left pretty much all alone with not many buyers and the hype has died away, people were saying its too bassy and not as clean and flat as ue10 etc etc.

[size=medium]i havnt tried the westone 3 yet, or the ue11 for that matter[/size] but until i see a thread saying the westone 3 is the end all im sorry im not spending money on them because as far as i can see the westone 3 is just another headphone that is still not perfect just like the triple fi 10 and se530 and customs.

im dissapointed in the lack of wow for the westone 3, many people prefer se530, triple fi, and cheaper customs to the ue11 so if the westone 3 cant touch the ue11 then it must be no better than other triple driver phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001
evil_smiley.gif

Listen with your ears and then you'll be able to give a valid opinion on the subject. I have the Westone 3 and they are nowhere near perfect, but I can say that I prefer them to the Shure E500 because I have heard both. Perhaps you'll still prefer the E500 when you'll have heard the W3, who knows, but at least you'll have something to back up your posts. Right now, your opinion is totally worthless on this matter.

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #35 of 78
Quote:

i was expecting them to be number 1 in every way over the se530 and triple fi 10 but instead it seems they are not better or worse they just do some things better and some worse, ''just like every other IEM in this price range!''

If you think there is ever going to be a universal IEM where 100% of people who hear them say "yeah, that's the best treble, mids and bass I've ever heard" you're living in a dream world. Of course some people will say they prefer SE530s or Triple.Fi Pros or IE8s ... hell, I've even heard people saying that the V-Moda Vibes are the best IEMs ever (who let them out of their padded cells ?!!??).

From what I've seen so far the Westone 3s are very highly rated - though I expect a more moderate consensus will emerge given a few more weeks for the dust to settle.

Everyone has different preferences for sound signature. What one man describes as sparkling highs, another man will describe as way too forward and bright. One man's smooth deep bass is another man's muddy bottom end or rolled off highs.

Opinion's are like @rseholses ... everyones got one.

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #36 of 78
Enough already with all this, right? I agree, get them all, listen to them (and try all the tips, etc.) and then keep the one(s) you like and return/sell the one(s) you don't. Why is that so complicated? All the micro-comparing without owning all the phones in question (SE530/500, UM10/11, SA6, X10, UETF10, Senn IE8) is really pointless. Fanboy is an interesting term. I guess if liking a product means being a fanboy, I am guilty (at least for the SA6s and the Atrios before them).

Yet, since I never owned any of the above phones but the Sleeks and the X10s, my perception of the W3s as an outstanding IEM, one I will keep because it delivers exactly what (I believe) I want. Albeit, that is based on incomplete personal experience. However, there are those, eyeameye, for one, headphoneaddict, for two, vorlon1, for three (to name just a few) who have heard all the top phones, for the most part, and favor the W3s. That works for me too, not having owned the UEs, the Senns or the Shures, etc.

And as for the Senn IE8s, if they are a better phone, good for whomever owns them. Of course, having paid $260 for the W3s vs. $400 (minimum via Soundearphones.com discount), I am doubting that paying $140 more for the Senns is worth it. Of course, I do intend on dropping another $100-$150 on the UM56 sleeves, but that's a personal preference, as I would love to eliminate the sleeve selection issue completely.

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #37 of 78
Still on page 1 of 3, so this might have been answered further on - but I recall EyeAmEye has both the UE11pro and Westone 3 and he feels the Westone 3 with cut down/modified triple flange tips are the closest IEM to UE11Pro he has heard; and rated them just slightly behind the UE11Pro and in 2nd place due to the treble not being quite as good on the W3.

I think he liked the bass control and levels better on the W3, but felt the sound of a particular guitar was not quite what he remembers the real thing sounding like. He has a recording of a guitar that he was present during the recording, and said the UE11Pro sounds more like the real guitar than the W3 due to improved treble on the UE11Pro. Now, that guitar comment was using Complys foam tips and he has switched to a better tip since then.

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #38 of 78
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

The Westone 3 woweed! me last week. I've compared them to SE530 side by side last year, and I was wowed back then too! They blow away the Shure, and if you recall I too was a Shure SE530 fan boi a while back. I can't find anything the W3 with UM56 tips does wrong yet. You need to try them.
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #39 of 78
Quote:

i cant believe the hype over the westone 3, awww its amazing, awwww its perfect, etc etc etc.

yet when asked if it competes with the ue11 its a resounding no!. i mean the ue11 has been left pretty much all alone with not many buyers and the hype has died away, people were saying its too bassy and not as clean and flat as ue10 etc etc.

i havnt tried the westone 3 yet, or the ue11 for that matter but until i see a thread saying the westone 3 is the end all im sorry im not spending money on them because as far as i can see the westone 3 is just another headphone that is still not perfect just like the triple fi 10 and se530 and customs.

im dissapointed in the lack of wow for the westone 3, many people prefer se530, triple fi, and cheaper customs to the ue11 so if the westone 3 cant touch the ue11 then it must be no better than other triple driver phones.

im sorry im not convinced.

PS: Are you reading the same forums I am reading?
confused.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #40 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find anything the W3 with UM56 tips does wrong yet.

I personally think the SE530 sounds great with even non-custom tips.

Taking custom tips out of both sides of the equation (as I'm sure not everyone will get custom tips for a universal IEM), does the Westone 3 still win?

(Playing devil's advocate)

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #42 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally think the SE530 sounds great with even non-custom tips.

Taking custom tips out of both sides of the equation (as I'm sure not everyone will get custom tips for a universal IEM), does the Westone 3 still win?

(Playing devil's advocate)

Yes, W3 still wins. My demo in 09/07 vs SE530 side by side was with Complys foam tips on both, and W3 won hands down. With Shure black olive foam tips the Westone 3 with Complys still won. I was at Westone that day delivering my impressions for the UM-56 tips which weren't made yet. Later, I found that the UM-56 tips on the SE530 made the treble sound slightly plasticky but it was improved as far as presence and detail. The triple flange modded to biflange with SE530 were imporved in the treble but still not quite as good as the UM-56 either.

Unfortunately, after a week of using the UM-56 with the SE530 I feel asleep wearing them one night and woke up with the sound spout snapped off the left earpiece and the UM-56 still in my ear. The UM-56 would let the SE530 stick out a little bit but fit the W3 much much better, and I posted photos yesterday showing how closely tucked in the W3 are when used with the UM-56 tips.

I then had someone do a one-time conversion of my SE530 by putting the drivers in a Livewires custom shell and tuning them with the sound tubes. This tamed the bass a little and improved the treble and soundstage the most out of any universal tip - making them my second favorite IEM just so very slightly behind the Livewires, but still they are not as good as the W3.

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #43 of 78
Although Westone's universals are great, even with custom tips it would be hard to pwn the Ue 11. Perhaps the Westone ES3 would be a better comparison

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #44 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(slams forehead in amazement) Just go back and read the review. I think Larry is pretty clear that he favors the W3s over the 530s even using non-custom sleeves.

Hey, when I'm throwing $400 around, I would like to make sure, alright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back