Do the HD598 need an Amp?
Mar 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tals

100+ Head-Fier
So as you guys know I just bought the Senn HD598, and I diden't buy an amp with it.
I have an option to buy a basic amp for it, only amp (I think, it's not DAC) it's pure analog, for like $80. Is it worth it?
I hear the headphones just high enough volume on my soundcard, will it not only increase the volume but also the quality?
Well what I do feel is, as opose to what I heard in the store.. Maybe it was the burn in mine is currently having, is that at higher volumes, it starts getting off cue... It gets messed up. And I think that if I buy an amp, it will be like (or close) to what I heard in the store...
Would I rather buy an amp for $80 and attach it to my computer, or should I buy a $200 sound card like the Xonar DX?
Which would sound better?

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 8
I went to a store, and bought the Traktor AUDIO 2, which is a DAC (96k, 24 bit) and it boosts my volume a little more. I think it's better, not sure tho :|

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tals /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would I rather buy an amp for $80 and attach it to my computer, or should I buy a $200 sound card like the Xonar DX?

Do you mean the ST/STX ? The Xonar DX is much cheaper than $200, but does not have a great headphone amplifier. If you intend to use the HD598 with a computer mainly, then the FiiO E10 (USB DAC+amplifier for ~$80) would work well.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
So as you guys know I just bought the Senn HD598, and I diden't buy an amp with it.
I have an option to buy a basic amp for it, only amp (I think, it's not DAC) it's pure analog, for like $80. Is it worth it?
I hear the headphones just high enough volume on my soundcard, will it not only increase the volume but also the quality?
Well what I do feel is, as opose to what I heard in the store.. Maybe it was the burn in mine is currently having, is that at higher volumes, it starts getting off cue... It gets messed up. And I think that if I buy an amp, it will be like (or close) to what I heard in the store...
Which would sound better?

The Asus Xonar DG will do a better job of driving the HD598 then your motherboard's built in sound.
The Xonar DG is only $26.99 and some places have a $10 mail in rebate on the DG.
The Fiio E10 USB/DAC/Headphone amplifier ($65) would also do nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back