do the hd280 need an amp?
Mar 4, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please, please don't go near the HD280. It is such a horrible headphone which no amplification or source helps to redeem. Urgh, I really cannot be bothered reposting what I've said before. In short its awful.

The problem with the HD280 it's not the sound, they sound okay from a sound card, they are just not comfy for me.

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #17 of 22
Hi,

Just wanted to update you all, I just bought the hd280 as I need good isolation (sound comes second - I have my akg k701 at home). Anyway out of the box they sound a little too bright but its not too bad, yes they are bass shy, but I don't need too much bass. I just hope that with good burn-in the highs will get refined.

Thank you all for your input
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason I still own HD280s is that they don't need an amp. That makes them perfect for travel with my portable CD player.

The only reason I own Hd280's is because Im too cheap to throw them away. My daughter doesnt mind using them on her I-pod Nano. I personally had a Hate/Hate relationship with the things. Uncomfortable and not all that great in the music department either.

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with the HD280 it's not the sound, they sound okay from a sound card, they are just not comfy for me.

No, no. I'm pretty sure that the problem is the sound, what with it being a giant pile of malodorous camel dung.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by whitemonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I'm searching for isolating headphones that will block outside noise from coming in.

I've read that the hd280 are very good at that and are very well in my budget.

One question though, do they need an amp? I'm looking for a solution that wont require an amp.

I enjoyed my HD280 from onboard sound when I had it. However, if owning it again, I definitely would want an amp like the Fiio E5 or anything that would drive it better and bring out its bass. So I don't recommend the HD280 without an amp unless the sound card can drive it well.

FWIR, the HD280 clamps too hard to be comfortable for most people for very long. I used mine in an office and it kept the sound from leaking out pretty well, but I could only keep it on my head in relative comfort for about 2 hours at a time. I had a private office and was blasting it with high volume electronic music... lol, so I'm sure had I been near anyone, they would have been annoyed. If buying headphones for cubicle or office use again, I'd want something much more comfortable to wear longer and to use at lower volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back