do the hd280 need an amp?
Mar 3, 2009 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

whitemonkey

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm searching for isolating headphones that will block outside noise from coming in.

I've read that the hd280 are very good at that and are very well in my budget.

One question though, do they need an amp? I'm looking for a solution that wont require an amp.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 22
had mine for 2+ years, they do good straight off an ipod/sansa clip, but get better on an amp.

killer isolation, you hear nothing but the music.

buy em.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 22
they work great without an amp..but an amp definitely improves them like any other dynamic headphone

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 22
Yes, isolation is great with the HD280, but it comes with the expense of comfort. The reason why they isolate so well is because the cups are pressed against your skull REALLY tightly. My head use to hurt after an hour or so of usage.

For isolation, I recommend using iems.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 22
try the audio tech range of closed cans.
they trounce the 280's and need no amp!

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 22
I cannot recommend these cans, but can only suggest that you look into the Audio Technica ATH M50.

I have not heard them, but it certainly should be considered.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Okay the ath m50 are out of my budget

Several ebay sellers have them for $100 shipped. That's hardly much more than the hd280.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by whitemonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay the ath m50 are out of my budget, what do you guys say about hfi-550 or hfi 650?

How are these with isolation and without an amp?

Good isolation, and a sound card will help a lot.
And you can try the PRO-550/DJ1 or the HFI580.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 22
I can recommend the 280s. Just EQ the mids down a tad (or the bass and treble up) and they sound amazing for the price.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by whitemonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I'm searching for isolating headphones that will block outside noise from coming in.

I've read that the hd280 are very good at that and are very well in my budget.

One question though, do they need an amp? I'm looking for a solution that wont require an amp.

I really like my Senn HD280 Pro. I use an amp made by Little Dot labeled the Little Dot MKI. Without an amp, the sound reproduced by this headphone is adequate, however when used with this amp, many of the lower frequencies are reinforced and a better sonic representation of the sound-stage is presented despite all of the negative criticism of others.

That is my experience. Buy it and try it out. These headphones need about 100-hours of audio burn-in at a moderate volume because of the nature of the drivers. This is based on my experience that is.

Hope this helps. Have a good week.
o2smile.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 22
Please, please don't go near the HD280. It is such a horrible headphone which no amplification or source helps to redeem. Urgh, I really cannot be bothered reposting what I've said before. In short its awful.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #15 of 22
I am an owner of the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and I use them for the computer running off an X-Fi Extreme Music soundcard with no amp. While I am by no means an audiophile, I have been perfectly happy with the HD280 as an adequate closed ear headphone which can get plenty loud for me (Perfect for those times when I can't have music blasting on gun shots ringing out of my headset). With the earphones on even at loud volumes the leaked noise is barley audible except those within a 4 foot radius. For the right price (around 75) I would recommend these as a choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back