Do the DT-990 Pro 250s lack a lot of mid?
Feb 6, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 14
They're very v-shaped. You shouldn't be looking at V shaped cans for your needs.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 14
I do listen to just about every genre of music except rock, what would be some good alternatives in the $150-300 price range? I was looking at the HE-300s as someone mentioned them in another thread but they're very under-reviewed so I'm a little sceptical.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 14
I would say the DT880s are a better all arounder, with lesser tradeoffs. I'd recommend the DT990 Pros only if you're more into EDM/bass heavy music.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
I forgot to mention I'd prefer an open headphone where-as the DT-880s are semi-open

It is not really much different from a fully open headphone, and has only a small amount of isolation.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 14
Yes, DT990 Pro 250 is lack of mids, but no so much, but they generates a lot of sound - I mean really lot, and sometimes hard to stand this listening to them for long.
Just today I have discussed recabling approach with owner of this headphones:
http://allegro.pl/beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-double-helix-cables-dhc-i2100449196.html
He has said that everything he (and I) don't like in DT990 was fixed (less or more) with this (quite expensive) recabling, but DT880 remains still better in overal for him (and probably me - I will try to racable it by myself).
DT990 Pro 250 after recabling become more like DT880 - balanced, gentle.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 14
My DT990 Pro 250-Ohm arrive tomorrow (Tuesday), I'll post how well they compare to my other headphones.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 14
Before you spend all that hard-earned $$$ on this snake oil cure, please consider that there is currently no evidence that would prove that recabling headphones makes any sort of audible difference whatsoever. If you want to bring out the mids in the DT990, use an equalizer.

Quote:
Yes, DT990 Pro 250 is lack of mids, but no so much, but they generates a lot of sound - I mean really lot, and sometimes hard to stand this listening to them for long.
Just today I have discussed recabling approach with owner of this headphones:
http://allegro.pl/beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-double-helix-cables-dhc-i2100449196.html
He has said that everything he (and I) don't like in DT990 was fixed (less or more) with this (quite expensive) recabling, but DT880 remains still better in overal for him (and probably me - I will try to racable it by myself).
DT990 Pro 250 after recabling become more like DT880 - balanced, gentle.

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 14
Yes, there is no proven evidence of improvement in these DT990 Pro 250, but swapping the cable to OCC may removes phisical bariers in structure of not so perfect original cable, while use of equalizer introduces additional degradation. Additionally, original cable is 3-wires, while this OCC has 4 wires as should it be!

I play with headphones cables quite frequently and differences are sometimes huge.
Convincing demonstration might be the swapping of the cables in SuperLux HD-668B - there are shorter and longer cables provided and additional possibility to connect the headphones directly to the amp without any of these cables - difference in all three cases is easy to notice.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Quick question, I heard the DT-990 Pro 250s  lacked a large amount of mid frequency with a harsh V-curve, would acoustic songs/mid-heavy music play poorly on these?
Thanks.

I can see some having that opinion about the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm,
To me the mids are not perfect, but still fairly decent mids, and I do like their V curve.
I tried listening to 10 different channels of music on Comcast
They really are the Bass & Treble (open) headphones.
I bought these headphone used, but they had very few hours on them, to they might even improve a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back