Do the 888's sound thin?
Jul 8, 2003 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I just ordered a pair of the gold Sony 888LP's from Bluetin today. I know that some call these bass-shy, but does that mean that they sound thin? I'll also be picking up a pair of Grado SR60's most likely, but wanted a pair of good earbud headphones, and my MX400's have gotten kind of tired sounding. I keep hearing about this liquid midrange on the 888's, and I'm thinking it would be perfect for listening to Miles Davis and Coltrane.

So what's the deal-- although bass-shy, will they sound "thin"? Or is that midrange that everyone speaks of going to make it sound nice and rich? Mainly for jazz, but probably for listening to my favorite Prince cd's as well (everything from 1980-1989).

Jul 8, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 21
Thin? In no way does the gold 888 sound thin. I've been enjoying it so much these past few days. There's actually enough difference between the silver and gold ones that whenever I try the silver one, I shake my head and go back to the gold.

I really don't think of the gold 888 as bass-shy. It's not in the least bass shy. You can feel the bass pounding enough in your head. To me, that's plenty of bass. I guess other people who like bass A LOT may want to have even MORE bass pounding inside their heads, but frankly, too much bass gives me headaches after a while, so I'd rather have bass in moderation: not too little, not too much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, don't just take my opinions on the E888. I maybe be a bit biased towards it since I'm a staunch supporter of it because it's by far the headphones that I'm most impressed with. I have the ER4P too, but although its sound is amazing, its usability and convenience are a little lacking, so I never find a chance to use them. The E888 are just so convenient and easy to use, especially the gold version with its slightly fuller sound and stronger bass (slight, but noticeable).

And plus, you've ordered the E888 already. Shouldn't you be asking these questions before making the purchase?
tongue.gif
Hehehe Don't worry, you will not be disappointed by the gold E888. It's a good Sony product, unlike some others (such as the EX71... stay away from that, don't even think about getting it!).

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 21
dragalong-
yeah, most would ask these questions beforehand--lol. But, well, i know i'm going to like them regardless, and i wanted to go for the "gold" before they were out of them, especially at that price! I just had heard so much about them being lite in the bass department, its good to know that that's not the case (at least when taken on their own, and not compared to stuff like the DT770's--lol).

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 21
i've heard I should be fairly gentle with the 888's during their break-in period (i.e. low volume instead of moderate volume, and least until the biocellulose diaphragms get loosened up a bit). Is it safe to assume that particular material is more delicate?

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 21
I think medium level is fine. At least for me anyway. If your medium is the same as my loud, then yes, you should go for low so that it's my medium. LOL

Seriously though, if you're not one of those people who enjoy music at an extremely high volume, then your medium level should be fine. Just be careful not to accidentally turn the volume too high.

Just a day or two ago, I was trying to see how the gold E888 would sound when playing Priston Tale (3D MMORPG). I had my computer volume set to low, but the game blasted music anyway, and I was so scared of damaging my E888. I immediately disconnected my E888. I don't think my E888 is damaged since I haven't heard anything strange yet, but I'd have to do some carefully listening just to be sure. I really hope I haven't damaged them since they're my favourite 'phones right now.
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by appar111
i've heard I should be fairly gentle with the 888's during their break-in period (i.e. low volume instead of moderate volume, and least until the biocellulose diaphragms get loosened up a bit). Is it safe to assume that particular material is more delicate?

The max input is 50mW.

Jul 10, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by deejayshakur
dunno why dragonlong is so opposed to the ex71. they sound very well-rounded to me. perhaps you got a bad set...

Count me in as being not a big fan of the EX-anything series, as well. The biggest flaw is the relative lack of mids. Bass is there, so are the highs... But hey! Where are the mids?
very_evil_smiley.gif

[size=xx-small]And yeah, I had listened to both the EX51LP and the EX71SL, in addition to owning a pair of the EX70LP...[/size]
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

dunno why dragonlong is so opposed to the ex71. they sound very well-rounded to me. perhaps you got a bad set...

As far as I know, my EX71 set isn't damaged or anything like that since I'm not hearing any distortion. I'm just a big fan of clarity and detail, and it seems that the EX71 is rather weak in that department. Also, comparing the EX71 to all my other portable headphones (E888, D66, KSC-35, ER4P), the EX71 is far inferior. I haven't tried comparing it to the EM7 yet, but so far, the EM7's clarity and detail isn't too bad just from listening.

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

so do the 888's mids sound very good?

i'm coming from a pair of aiwa vx100's and those mids were HORRIBLE (even worse now that i compared them to the ex71's). that's why i like the ex71's (i guess until i hear a set of earbuds with superior mids).

Oh yes, the E888's mids are VERY good, and even the highs are good too. It's only the bass that may not be as "pronounced" as some other 'phones, but I'm using the gold E888 which has stronger everything (highs, mids, bass). In fact, the bass isn't bad at all. I think it has just the right amount of "oomf". Anything more would give me a headache, anything less would feel like the bass is missing some fullness.

Jul 11, 2003 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 21
Dragonlong,

Quote:

Oh yes, the E888's mids are VERY good, and even the highs are good too. It's only the bass that may not be as "pronounced" as some other 'phones, but I'm using the gold E888 which has stronger everything (highs, mids, bass). In fact, the bass isn't bad at all. I think it has just the right amount of "oomf". Anything more would give me a headache, anything less would feel like the bass is missing some fullness.

E888 is very dependent on the source. I have Sharp MD-SS323 and the synegy is just fantastic. The bass is all there! I also have ipod, and not to my surpise, the E888 sound thin and one dimensional. E888 really need good source to sound great. My version is silver. I probably will order one of the gold version one day, but the silver looks so much better. I once had a gold, but shortly sold it.

Purk

Jul 11, 2003 at 9:33 AM Post #14 of 21
The MDR-E888's may the best balanced buds on the market. I'm always a bit mystified by people's comments about them being "bass-shy" as mine deliver tight lows without any complaints.

Jul 11, 2003 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 21
Im looking to get some new buds. These look like they'd be good.
Anybody know if I can get them in Australia?
Will I have to order them internationally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back