Do people who buy expensive gear value music more then others?
Apr 12, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 35
If there isn't a positive correlation, then lots of members here should find better targets for their disposable cash.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 35
Why do older rich guys buy Bentleys or Maseratis? Because they value cost-no-object automotive engineering, or because they value cost-no-object blow jobs from hot younger women?

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 35
It makes sense to me as well.
1. They have transparent gear. Showing faults in bad recordings, and hence make you more dedicated to the music itself.
2. They usually have some money to spend on music as well. In addition to the expensive gear that is.

Edit:
Put some more thought into this, and not quite as sure anymore. Hmmm...

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 35
Absolutely not.

Many many music lovers have average systems, or even downright low-fi systems.

I think its a mixture of your amount of disposable income and how much you like your electronics/gadgets.

I can be moved by a piece of music played from youtube on stock PC speakers. Though luckily I have enough money to afford better.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 35
Big NO to that idea. Appreciation of music has no price. However, those who love music, have been lucky enough to be exposed to good gear, and also have the means and opportunity to get it will tend get the best they can as long as it fits in with the rest of life's needs. I have a friend who would love a killer system, but she'd rather send her son to college. That doesn't mean she values music any less than I.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do older rich guys buy Bentleys or Maseratis? Because they value cost-no-object automotive engineering, or because they value cost-no-object blow jobs from hot younger women?

More like cost-no-object mechanics.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 35
Absolutely not. I know many people who love music that have very very low fi gear.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 35
No correlation. It almost seems to be opposite sometimes, a lot of people here seem to like to listen to their gear more than the music. Of course that isn't everyone, but there is a lot more to appreciate about music than the reproduction.

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 35
A cheap kitchen radio can be sufficient to be thrilled by music. Doubting that is just sick gearitis.

I personally can't be thrilled by a radio. Guess I have gearitis. The fact that I have more to say about my cans than about my music is very fishy.

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 35
What about music critics? Can you give an honest and accurate assessment of an album that was reviewed using iBuds? I'm thinking no. I would think that the big-name critics all have good speaker setups, but some of the smaller-name, yet still trusted, critics perhaps don't.

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about music critics? Can you give an honest and accurate assessment of an album that was reviewed using iBuds? I'm thinking no. I would think that the big-name critics all have good speaker setups, but some of the smaller-name, yet still trusted, critics perhaps don't.

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/sh...review-301317/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back