Do people actually use the search?
Aug 23, 2003 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

dokebi

500+ Head-Fier
I see the same questions over and over again on most forums. Typical questions on head-fi is "Whats the best headphones under $xx" or other variants of it. Kind of annoying to fire up my browser and see this regurgitated crap over and over. Having a bad day...don't mind me.
mad.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 35
I use it all the time, especially before I post a question if I am seeking information.

Aug 23, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 35
I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they pass up the chance to use the search function here and open up the vast amount of knowledge available to them via that arena. Its gotten so frustrating that I now stop people on the street who dont even know what Head-Fi is and force them to use it!

JC

Aug 23, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 35
Word.

Aug 24, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 35
All the time. Others should use it too if they don't already. It's much more productive to just run a search first to narrow down your question before posting a generic "i need advice" thread. Or a "x headphone vs. y headphones" thread. Or whatever.

It's interesting how threads tend to repeat themselves every several months as well. Like now there's a new "what book are you reading?" thread and a new "what's the most expensive rig here?" thread and a new "what's your dream rig?" thread. I'm not saying these shouldn't be repeated every once in awhile since there are newer people around. I'm just noting the regularity with which these pop up, and that just because there might be old threads that are similar doesn't mean new ones shouldn't be posted. These sort of recurring ones are OK; there's something new to be gained in discussing them again. Going over the differences between the HD580 and HD600 or the V6 vs. HD280 pro just gets monotonous though...or the best headphones in a certain price range.

Which is why I think a Head-Fi FAQ is a great idea and would really benefit the community. What ever happened to those?

Aug 24, 2003 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 35
Searching is the main reason why my post per day ratio is so low.
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #12 of 35
Some do and some don't.

It depends on what type of forums they’ve used before and if at all. Some forums have search features that only pick up posts from the past week or two. Some (like this one) have forum searches that work very well if you have the savvy to pick the right keywords. Some people aren’t forum vets and just don’t think of using a search.

It’s important to tell a n00b that there is a good search feature here, but you shouldn’t be rude about it and just shout, “USE THE ****ING SEARCH BUTTON,” when they make their first post. Answer their question and tell them that they can garner more by searching. If you’re nice, they will. If you’re rude, they’ll likely leave and never return.

Aug 24, 2003 at 1:03 PM Post #14 of 35
I don't mind similiar threads if its the perspective or opinions of each individual. Repeated threads sometimes shed new light from where a previous one left off. I meant the typical ones like "what is a headphone?"(figure of speech)
rolleyes.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 1:15 PM Post #15 of 35
we all know that using the search button results in having your question answered perfectly each and every time.
that's because head-fi'ers always agree on headphone related matters.
because we all agree on everything, there's absolutely no possibility of confusion after doing a search. and so there's no reason for n00bs (or veterans, for that matter) to start a thread like, "what's the best . . . "

additionally, we all know that every thread started here at head-fi is useful . . .

very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back