do pcdp's come in 24 bit equivalent?
Mar 27, 2002 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

immtbiker

The first to organize an (Inter)National Head-Fi Meet (2006)
Flat out, I am looking for the best sounding pcdp, to be used with my Grado RA-1, and Tangent H-65 DIY, and ETY 4p's, with no extra features (radio, car kit, etc.), just good, clean sound!
Nobody advertises what kind of sampling or bit conversion is involved in their modern day players. It must have a line out, and some sort of anti-skip. Any suggestions?

Mar 27, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 25
First off, a true 24-bit DAC is much too expensive to build into PCDPs; in fact, almost EVERY big-name-brand PCDP uses a so-called "1-bit" DAC. Also, many PCDPs - even some mid-priced ones - have no line-out jacks whatsoever, only a headphone-out jack.

That said, search the forums for "Panasonic OR *CT*70 OR *CT7*0". Those will give you some suggestions of a GOOD-sounding PCDP with a line-out and GOOD anti-skip.

Mar 27, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 25
The obligatory response from me... Sony D-E905 on Ebay if you can find it... This player blows everything apart that i've ever heard before, and its line out is pretty darned good too
smily_headphones1.gif

Failing that, Ebay again... A Sony D777, to me the line out is 95% as good as the E905, and the headphone out is about 80% as good...

Both Sony players use Toshiba one bit DACs, 24 bit (or even 16 bit) DACs in PCDPs are impractical... there is a thread somewhere on this sub-forum, where I posted why... if you'd like, i'll dig it out for you?

The shock protection... The E905 uses 'ESP2' which so far as I know is 40 seconds memory, and the D777 uses the original 'ESP' which provides a 10 second buffer.

Oh, and... these two Sony players I mention... extra especially the E905, I've never seen anyone bad-mouth them... thats gotta be worth something, and - they are very High-End, both costing over £300 ($500) when new!!

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 25
On the Sony D245 I have it says 16 bit DAC on the front. What does that mean if most are one bit?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it 16 bit DAC or 16 times oversampling...because my old Panasonic had that on the cover, but as stated previously,
modern day pcdp's that come in cheap plastic hang-up display cases, don't boast anything but a 1 bit "mash".

BTW...I went with the Panasonic CT-570, but I would be willing to buy another one if it would sound better through the line out.
I could not find the recommended used Sony's on E-Bay.
confused.gif

Mar 30, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 25
The Sony d-25s' dac is 16 bit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it obtainable?

Mar 30, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 25
Hi immtbiker,

BTW: The d-25s is player only. No battery, no manual, no adapter, etc. The d-25s also don't have any 'skip protection'. If this is an issue, you made need to look elsewhere.

puppyslugg

Mar 30, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 25
Hi immtbiker,

BTW: The d-25s is player only. No battery, no manual, no adapter, etc. The d-25s doesn't have any 'skip protection'. If this is an issue, you may need to look elsewhere.

puppyslugg

Mar 30, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #14 of 25
Puppyslugg...
The anti-skip is not a problem as I would be running the pcdp through a headphone amp, on a table, or couch.
I looked up Silicone Salvage's web page, and it is no longer active. E-bay did not show them through a search.
I will try to call them tomorrow. Thanks for the #.
I assume that I can get a comparable power source.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2002 at 8:21 AM Post #15 of 25
Hi immtbiker,

I checked silicon slavage and ebay and didn't see the d25s either. It may still worth a email/call to silicon salvage. If you are able buy one, PM me regarding power supply.

puppyslugg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back