Do men have more 'sensitive' hearing than women?
Oct 23, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Posting in a thread is pretty pointless if you aren't going to read it.

Imo it is not.
The OP asked a straight forward question. And I don't need to read everybody else answers to write down what I think of the subject.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #47 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imo it is not.
The OP asked a straight forward question. And I don't need to read everybody else answers to write down what I think of the subject.

Then you won't learn anything. Since your limiting yourself to just your own thoughts.

This thread is a good example of it.

If you would have read the thread, you would have seen that not only is it proven women have better hearing, and it is from birth, but that different races also hear at differing levels.

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #48 of 61
Quote:

If you would have read the thread, you would have seen that not only is it proven women have better hearing, and it is from birth, but that different races also hear at differing levels.

Maybe I misread, but where does it say that women have better hearing from birth? Prozakk's posted article says that women tend to have higher levels of otoacoustic emissions at birth (which implies that the hearing systems in men and women are somehow different), but I didn't see a better/worse comparison.

The article you posted shows that different races tend to have different levels of hearing loss, but it does not explain the cause, nor does it say that they have better or worse hearing from birth.

The one reasonable confirmation that stretches across age, origin, etc. is that women tend to have low-frequency loss and men tend to have high-frequency loss.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #49 of 61
Quote:

And yes, cultural anthropologists often due teach there is no such thing as race. However, physical anthropologist are less likely to say that.

physical anthropologists are the ones who actually deal with the genetic differences.

See http://www.physanth.org/positions/race.html, where the major organization of physical anthropologists dismisses the idea of race. Some choice quotes: Pure races, in the sense of genetically homogenous populations, do not exist in the human species today, nor is there any evidence that they have ever existed in the past. The only living species in the human family, Homo sapiens, has become a highly diversified global array of populations. The geographic pattern of genetic variation within this array is complex, and presents no major discontinuity. Humanity cannot be classified into discrete geographic categories with absolute boundaries. Furthermore, the complexities of human history make it difficult to determine the position of certain groups in classifications. Multiplying subcategories cannot correct the inadequacies of these classifications.

Quote:

And 200 000 years since we first left africa is NOT too little time for the changes to occur.

Since the changes are from breeding within a limited gene pool. 200 000 years is about 10 000 generations.

Breed animals today with only limited genetic differences, and you can see very distinct traits become exaggerated in only a few generations.

Most physical anthropologists agree that anatomically modern Homo sapiens (i.e., us) is between 150,000 to 200,000 years old, but that we didn't leave Africa until perhaps 100,000 to 120,000 years ago, and didn't reach the main areas of all the major continents until maybe 30,000 years ago. Thus, our species is incredibly young, and its sub-populations are much younger. 100,000 years is a blink of an eye in geologic and evolutionary time.

Any discussion about the human-induced domestication of animals has little bearing on the much weaker, slower force of natural selection. Yes, with forced culling and breeding we can increase the evolutionary rate a million-fold (as we did with dogs, cats etc.), but humans are not subject to such pressures (notwithstanding the efforts of the American eugenics movement and the Nazi war machine).

Quote:

Read some works of Chris Stringer and his out-of-africa model.

Instead of taking the race subject as such an "evil" thing. Hyper-sensitivity leads to false beliefs.

Stringer would likely have a heart attack if he learned you were quoting him in support of the notion of races. Here is a statement from Stringer indicating his view: Since so little time has passed since they decamped from Africa, dispersing to the far regions of the world -- 100,000 years being a mere paleontological moment -- ''only slight differences, if any, in intellect and innate behavior are likely to have evolved between modern human populations.'' We are ''all Africans under our skin.''

The whole point of Stringer's Out of Africa model is as an alternative theory to the multi-regional model, which does posit that there are separate, long-standing human races. The multi-regional model, now on the ropes and likely to be discarded soon, has lost to the out-of-Africa model not because of PC or hyper-sensitivity but simply because the evidence overwhelmingly supports its rival.

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Then you won't learn anything. Since your limiting yourself to just your own thoughts.

This thread is a good example of it.

Point taken!
rolleyes.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #52 of 61
It's most likely that women tend to have better hearing due to a combination of biological and environmental factors, which is consistent with the etiology of virtually every physical and mental ailment (even if one is disproportionately more influential than the other). Environmental factors would include the (probable) fact that men listen to music on their iPods more loudly than do women (just my observations -- I don't know of any studies in this area).

As for the ethnic differences, doesn't it seem plausible that white males have worse hearing than black males because they tend to have higher incomes, giving them more spare money to spend on iPods? This could also be combined with the fact that a higher percentage of black males (compared to white males) live in high-crime areas where, even if they had enough money to purchase an iPod, they would be reluctant to listen in public for fear of having it stolen.

All just speculation, of course.

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #53 of 61
Can't we just use our ears without being told why we may or may not have better hearing than someone else because of gender, environment, ethnicity, religion, income level, etc.?

Can't we just enjoy it?

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually thought that it was the opposite. I can distinctly remember a head-fier who let his wife listen to his gear and noticed that his wife picked out more finesse than he did.

I'd search for it, but I have no clues to search through the myriad of threads.

If it's the same post I'm thinking of I recall that the poster's wife in that case was a trained concert muisian. So that may not be the norm.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have what I sometimes think is an over-sensitivity to highs, and what I perceive as shrill, or piercing, sometimes to the point of physical pain, my male friends don't even notice. It shows up in headphone choices: I can't handle the DT880s (they hurt!), the Proline 2500s, certain Grados, or the Zu cable on HD650s; the CD3000s were difficult for me though I liked them, and even my beloved K1000s and ER4Ps seem harsh with certain music. I also don't find treble roll-off nearly as troublesome (SE 530s) as many do. A DIY friend was even going to build me a little filter gadget, but we never got around it it. I never wondered if this trait has anything to do with being a woman, but as this thread brought it up, it now has me curious.

I have the same issue, and I have read about other men who also suffer from it. Maybe not gender specific, or I have increased oestrogen levels.
redface.gif

Grados don't work for me. I bought a set of SR-125 and had to sell them. They were like fingernails on a blackboard to my ears.

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #56 of 61
No, quite the opposite, but men more often have A type personalities which makes them think we know everything and more.

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #58 of 61
Women are more "sensitive" while they are hearing! :wink:

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
She muses that it could be men have more acute hearing, that we needed it so we could protect the tribe in old times, etc.
Is there any evidence of this at all? All I've ever heard from studies is that men lose their HF hearing faster than women (I think).

I think your wife is on to something, here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back