Do men have more 'sensitive' hearing than women?
Oct 20, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #32 of 61
Considering the mag-style summarizing of studies that are admittedly controversial, it is still interesting. As a woman with a twin brother, I found the segment citing hearing in women with male twins to be closer to men's hearing than other women's intriguing.

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by electrathecat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stand corrected. After doing some research, it does appear that many studies have shown, as early as infancy, that females generally have better hearing and that there are some tiny but measurable anatomical differences in the inner ear. It's still unclear, however, what the cause might be, and there's no evidence that the difference is even adaptive. It could simply be a byproduct of some other process. Men and women are obviously different, but from a human biological view these differences tend to be pretty small (i.e., there's a lot more variation within the genders than between genders) -- the environment and social pressures tend to greatly exaggerate these differences so that we perceive them as being much bigger than as they really started out.

First of all, "race" is a meaningless, invalid term that no reputable scientist uses any more. It's not a PC thing, it's just that decades of study have demonstrated that no such monolithic groups exist (at least in biology -- society is another matter). Second, you may want to be careful, as you're veering dangerously close to the scientific world's most overrated* "embarassing pervy uncle who makes everybody uncomfortable at parties": http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...iqNogD8SC14GO0 ,
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2677098.ece

* "Overrated" because his Nobel-winning "discovery" was one of those scientific milestones that was inevitable (based on the collective work that everybody was engaging in at the time, as well as the development of new technologies) and he happened to get there first (by standing on the shoulder of both giants and contemporaries he exploited like Rosalind Franklin). If he and Crick hadn't made the double helix discovery when they did it would have been done soon thereafter anyway, likely in a matter of weeks. Watson simply happened to be in the right place at the right time, and has milked one overly-dramaticized discovery for a lifetime of reward.

Race is a group of people sharing similiar characteristics because of shared genetic background.

These differences came about due to inbreeding when humans first moved out of the middle east. The groups that left were fairly small, and were genetically limited by the small amount of people. This lead to certain traits becoming very emphasized within these groups. These groups have become what we now consider the different races.

This can easily be seen in modern dogs, ALL modern dogs were originally bred from the wolf. Yet due to inbreeding, certain traits have been isolated and exaggerated, giving rise to different breeds of dogs.

Would you claim all breeds of dog are the same?

With some easy reading, you can find many scientists that support the idea that humans can be broken down into sub-species.

However, this sort of research is very looked down upon, and not widely spread, because of the hyper-sensitivities of people largely due to how Nazi Germany twisted this topic.

Also, if you look, there is several articles theorizing that within a few hundred years, two human races will rise. One distinctly superior to the other. This is because even in developed countries, the upper middle class has a birthrate of less than 2.1(replacement rate). While the poor, and those with different psychological disorders have a much higher birthrate.

They theorized the superior class/race with be tall, lean, with an olive complexion, while the lower class/race will be shorter and on average more overweight.

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #34 of 61
I am pretty sure both men and women in general are born with equal hearing capabilities.
The difference is how we take care of our hearing in the rest of our life. Some train there hearing to hear more details, while other destroy it in a noisy environment.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if you look, there is several articles theorizing that within a few hundred years, two human races will rise. One distinctly superior to the other. This is because even in developed countries, the upper middle class has a birthrate of less than 2.1(replacement rate). While the poor, and those with different psychological disorders have a much higher birthrate.

They theorized the superior class/race with be tall, lean, with an olive complexion, while the lower class/race will be shorter and on average more overweight.

YOWZA
confused.gif

77028.jpg

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #36 of 61
Are you friggin' kidding me!!??

Ever sat through a dinner with five women at the same table? Their lips were all moving at the SAME TIME, yet they could still hear each others conversations. Friggin' amazing I tell ya.. sixth sense stuff!! Me... I ate my dinner
blink.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am pretty sure both men and women in general are born with equal hearing capabilities.
The difference is how we take care of our hearing in the rest of our life. Some train there hearing to hear more details, while other destroy it in a noisy environment.

Then you have failed to read the link, and failed to read this thread.

What you said is NOT TRUE.

Young women have about on average 15% more acute hearing.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #38 of 61
Quote:

whoever is writing these articles needs to shake their head.

the notion is patently absurd, at least within the time frame you state.

any "scientist" that would propose a theory of human superiority based on wealth and class is obviously pushing some kind of an agenda.

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #39 of 61
Quote:

Then you have failed to read the link, and failed to read this thread.

Well, I read the OP's initial post and see no link referral.
blink.gif

But I read his post and answered according to his question (see topic) and what I believe to be the truth. I take my precautions with using the wording; "I am pretty sure"...

Quote:

What you said is NOT TRUE.
Young women have about on average 15% more acute hearing.

...and you are sure thats because we are born different, and not because we treat our hearing different when we grow up?

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Race is a group of people sharing similiar characteristics because of shared genetic background.

These differences came about due to inbreeding when humans first moved out of the middle east. The groups that left were fairly small, and were genetically limited by the small amount of people. This lead to certain traits becoming very emphasized within these groups. These groups have become what we now consider the different races.

This can easily be seen in modern dogs, ALL modern dogs were originally bred from the wolf. Yet due to inbreeding, certain traits have been isolated and exaggerated, giving rise to different breeds of dogs.

Would you claim all breeds of dog are the same?

With some easy reading, you can find many scientists that support the idea that humans can be broken down into sub-species.

However, this sort of research is very looked down upon, and not widely spread, because of the hyper-sensitivities of people largely due to how Nazi Germany twisted this topic.

Uh, OK. I think this post speaks for itself.
blink.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Apparently you didn't read the link in my last post.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently you didn't read the link in my last post.

Correct!
I responded to the OP, with the knowledge I have/do not have...

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Well, I read the OP's initial post and see no link referral.
blink.gif

But I read his post and answered according to his question (see topic) and what I believe to be the truth. I take my precautions with using the wording; "I am pretty sure"...

...and you are sure thats because we are born different, and not because we treat our hearing different when we grow up?

Posting in a thread is pretty pointless if you aren't going to read it.

@ others.

Look through some biology texts for information on sub-species.

And yes, cultural anthropologists often due teach there is no such thing as race. However, physical anthropologist are less likely to say that.

physical anthropologists are the ones who actually deal with the genetic differences.

Since some people failed to state which they were talking about, it would appear they do not realize there are differences.

And like I asked before,

If in humans, there is no such thing as race. Are there no different species of dogs? Since ALL types of dogs were originally bred from wolves.

And 200 000 years since we first left africa is NOT too little time for the changes to occur.

Since the changes are from breeding within a limited gene pool. 200 000 years is about 10 000 generations.

Breed animals today with only limited genetic differences, and you can see very distinct traits become exaggerated in only a few generations.

Read some works of Chris Stringer and his out-of-africa model.

Instead of taking the race subject as such an "evil" thing. Hyper-sensitivity leads to false beliefs.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #45 of 61
Women have more sensitive hearing on average. Many men are tone deaf so I have read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back