Do Koss portapro and sony mdr xb500 has same sound signature?? Which one is best??
Oct 25, 2012 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sulachhan

New Head-Fier
I am absoulutely beginner in this area and i have owned koss portapro and sony mdr xb500 and my question is that i do not find any difference in sound between these two headphones??What should be the next upgrade from these headphones??

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I am absoulutely beginner in this area and i have owned koss portapro and sony mdr xb500 and my question is that i do not find any difference in sound between these two headphones??What should be the next upgrade from these headphones??

The XB500's sound the same as the PortaPro's!? O.o

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 6
na they dont sound anything alike, the xb500's are basically just pure unadulterated bass and nothing else. just a wall of bass lol

the portapros have alot of bass as well but not in the same realm as the xb500. the portapros also have much tighter cleaner bass and have actual highs and some mids, also they're easy as hell to mod to get the signature you want with minimal fuss.

portapros are open, xb500's are closed

portapros are supra aural, xb500's are circumaural

portapros are also way more portable

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 6
Well I actually own both the Sony XB500 and the Koss Porta Pros and I do think that they sound quite similar, in fact, I feel that the mids and highs of the Koss Porta Pros are slightly more muffled (could be due to the foam earpads), while the XB500's drivers are nearly exposed. But as for an upgrade, maybe you should consider getting Grados SR-80i. Grados SR-80i have a better soundstage than the closed circumaural XB500. Since you have the XB500 and Porta Pros, you might be a basshead, and the SR-80i's bass wouldn't disappoint you, but not overpowering at the same time.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Well to get a more accurate direction to your next headphone, consider telling what you want more out of the headphones you have unless you want the same sound signature but more refined. If that's the case maybe the D1100?

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you guys for the suggestion.After reading through a lot of threads and going through  lot of reviews i recently ordered SENHEISER HD 598 and hoping it will be delivered within 5 working days.I have also heard abt a lot of good things abt grado sr 60i and 80 i but i decided to go for SENHEISER HD 598 but i dont know how it sounds.Is it a wise upgrade from xb500 and koss portapro or should i again have to save some bucks to go for Grado headphones??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back