Do I really NEED to install ATI Catalyst Center?
Mar 8, 2011 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jubei

Headphoneus Supremus
Guys, need some advice.

I just upgraded to Win 7 and would like to know whether I really need to install ATI Catalyst Center. In the past, on Win XP, I installed the Catalyst Center, but never found a use for it. I don't really play games, maybe one or two sessions of my old copy of Civ IV per year. 

I would like to cut back on all these hardware utility software packages if they are unessential, so any advice is really welcome!

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 7
OK, and many thanks.

It's quite a pain figuring out all the drivers on a 3-year old motherboard ... needless to say, 90% of the drivers on the CD that came with the hardware don't work on Win 7, and I've had to search the web for them.

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 7
While the core drivers is what's really necessary for basic and proper GPU usage, advanced settings for things other than games can only be set through ATI's control panel, or rather obscure registry fiddling. Video settings, power savings configs, among a few other things make a significant difference.

Bottomline, cut on all the software you want, except what's needed for full control of the hardware you have.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
do you absolutly NEED it, no you dont but i would if i was you and i do

I install it as well for configurability.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back