Do I REALLY need an amp?
Dec 16, 2006 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sonicm

100+ Head-Fier
(1)I don't quite understand amps, do I really need one(Will it make my Grados sound better?)?
I have a Grado SR-225, and I keep hearing about how they're great, but, I also hear that they're just a step above a SR-80 if not paired with an amp, but I don't get how. So, I made a list of questions, answers to any of them would be great.
2) Isn't an amp just for the sake of making the sound louder? I run it from a computer, so wouldn't just turning up the volume have the same effect?
3) I keep hearing about how tube amps go so great with Grados, do they mean it sound better because of a tube amps distortion? Or would a solid-state still make a huge difference?
4) And lastly(This applies if an amp would make a bigger difference than turning up the volume and using an equalizer) would a Go-Vibe 5/5S go good with a SR-225?

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 17
Re the first question, a search should reveal numerous discussions regarding this precise question in the past few weeks and months.
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 17
Things is, no one really needs an amp. If you like to play around with these things, though, get an amp
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re the first question, a search should reveal numerous discussions regarding this precise question in the past few weeks and months.
wink.gif

I tried, I see a lot of people hinting it, but no one was really actually addressing the question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Things is, no one really needs an amp. If you like to play around with these things, though, get an amp
wink.gif

huh? Either I phrased it wrong, or your just joking around, its probably the latter but I'm too out-of-it right now to be sure so I'll try to clear it up; Will it make a improvement in sound?

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 17
Whether it'll improve the sound is a complex subject - it depends on variables such as the quality of the source (interconnect included), the quality of the amp...and the caprice of your ears
tongue.gif

Adding a Go-Vibe v5 is not guaranteed to improve your Grados, especially if your computer sound card already has a good integrated headphone amp.

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 17
I have MS-1. and I initially used it straight out of I-pod. Curiosity got best of me and ended up building a RA-1 clone. Does it sound better with an amp? Yes. It helps mid-bass especially. It really makes bass more articulated with extra impact. Highs are also more crisp. I can definitely hear extra current going through my phone, I am a but of tech guy so that is the best description I can offer. It won't be night and day but it will make it from gloomy day to clear sunny day. If you get what I mean. Good luck!!

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 17
Note that an NJM4556 based, thus Grado-RA-1-rough-equivalent, headphone amp is included in many commercial sound cards (e.g. the Creative ones).

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 17
It's been a long time since I've had a pair of grados, but most headphones will improve with a headphone amplifier, even high-efficiency, low impedance headphones like the Grados, and also my Sennheiser HD595's (which are 50 ohm and insanely efficient). Generally speaking, with a good amplifier you will notice a deepening of the bass notes, tightening of the bass, less distortion compared with the headphone out, since the headphone out has a less demanding load on it because the Headphone amplifier is powering the headphones, and if the amplifier you use has crossfeed, you will notice a more natural soundstaging and experience less fatigue listening through headphones. With an amp (and good interconnect cables), you will notice that using an equalizer and cranking up the volume are not necessary to hear detail and musicality through your headphones. I have never tried out the Go-Vibe before so I cannot attest on whether or not it is a good amp for the Grado SR-125, nor can I attest on whether or not Grados are good with a tube amp. I jumped the grado ship early on in my headphone journey in favor of the more refined Sennheisers. I have found I prefer a combination of the up-front sound of the Grados and the refined sound and large soundstaging capabilities of the Sennheiser HD580, 600, and 650 series, which is what the HD595's give me. But anyways, good luck with your SR-125's and be assured that a good amp is more than just a volume booster. And the right amp and a good quality source will let you hear what they are truly capable of. Have fun!

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 17
Amps are voltage-gain devices. The voltage output from a source is usually too weak to listen to speakers or cans at desired loudness, and the output voltage can't be varied. So amps make the voltage signal stronger and have volume controls that vary the attenuation of the signal before or after it has been amplified.

A speaker produces sound by moving air as its diaphram travels back and forth. A particular voltage tells the speaker where to go to along its travel. There must be enough current to move the speaker into that position quickly. Some speakers need more current to move them around than others.

If you have a device with a headphone amp, it's probably amplified. But it may have a high output impedance, which rolls off treble frequencies, or it may not supply enough current, or its voltage gain may be insufficient. Or the amplifier may distort the signal it's amplifying, or it may be noisy. Or it may be perfectly fine!

There's only one way to tell: plug your headphones in and listen.

As a general rule, higher-impedance 'phones need less current to drive them but more voltage gain to attain a given volume. Likewise, you may be able to drive lower-impedance 'phones without an amplifier because they need less voltage gain to achieve a given volume, but they may need more current to be driven precisely and authoritatively.

So a headphone jack will probably already be amplified. A dedicated amplifier may be necessary for some 'phones to supply sufficient voltage or sufficient current, depending on the 'phone, but there are plenty of 'phones out there that don't need a dedicated amp to sound their best.

(Oh, golly, I hope I've got this right! Those in the know, please correct me if I've messed up!)

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note that an NJM4556 based, thus Grado-RA-1-rough-equivalent, headphone amp is included in many commercial sound cards (e.g. the Creative ones).

Huh?
I have a Audigy 2zs, but as far as I know, there are only ports for line out in the back, so would that mean theres no integrated headphone amp?

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?
I have a Audigy 2zs, but as far as I know, there are only ports for line out, so no integrated headphone amp.
So in your opinion, would it be better?

It DOES have some sort of amplifier in line out, otherwise it would have hard time producing sound at all. I doubt it has same quality opamp chip as RA-1 though. IIRC X-Fi Elite Pro has same opamp as RA-1, but lesser X-Fi's have different chip. Audigy2 probaply has same as lesser X-fi, i dunno. Somebody correct me if im wrong.

Dec 17, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 17
So, with my Audigy, I'd probably benefit?

Also, one more question to whomever has an audigy, I'm currently using my headphones out of its 'lineout 1', there are three, but only one of them seems to make any sound, so would I plug my amp(if I were to get one) into that? Going through two amps wouldn't cause any distortion? And what are the other two 'lineouts' for?

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, with my Audigy, I'd probably benefit?

Also, one more question to whomever has an audigy, I'm currently using my headphones out of its 'lineout 1', there are three, but only one of them seems to make any sound, so would I plug my amp(if I were to get one) into that? Going through two amps wouldn't cause any distortion? And what are the other two 'lineouts' for?

I have an Audigy2 Platinum, LDM+ and Sony MDR-7506 cans. I have my Sony DVP-NS755V connected to the Audigy2 via a Canare coax digital cable, and to the LDM+ via Signal Cables RCA's out of the stereo analog jacks. I have also tried running straight out of the Audigy2's headphone jack right into the LDM+.

Every way I tried it, as long as the Audigy2 was in the signal, the 7506's didn't sound as good. However, with the single going straight from my source directly into the LDM+, the sound is much better in ALL areas.

With the Audigy2, everything is flat and lifeless. Soundstage crumbles down to nothing, treble becomes harsh, mids are thin, and bass is sloppy and weak.

With the source signal right into the LDM+, these cans open up tremendiously! Life is brought back into the 7506's. The soundstage opens up, imaging becomes sharper, the treble calms down a bit yet still extended, the midrange fills out better and is a bit more up front, and the bass gets much tighter, more solid and musical.

BTW, my brother's Grado SR80's and SR325i's improve a bunch as well being powered by my LDM+. The Audigy2 is just not something you want to use in the long run if you're serious about your sound IMHO.

Quote:

And what are the other two 'lineouts' for?

Most likely for 5.1 multi-channel output.

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 17
I've found that DAC/amp combos give much better sound than a soundcard alone will.

I'm guessing that you haven't read up on DACs yet. DACs are Digital to Analog Converters, they do just what their name implies. Most stand alone DACs have only S/PDIF(RCA or 1/8" mini) and TOSlink (Toshiba link, it's the brand name for the digital optical connection) inputs but there are a few DACs made with USB input (all of the Headroom DACs and Total Bithead for ex.).

With the USB DACs they completely bypass your soundcard and become your soundcard with the help of your computer . The only downside to that is you don't have hardware EAX processing (you can still use software processing)

You can also output a digital signal with your soundcard and still have all the hardware processing that your soundcard has.

OK, so you don't have a stand alone DAC... yet. If you don't want to take the plunge and buy a DAC/amp but if you already have or can buy-borrow-steal a receiver that has digital inputs, guess what it has it's own DAC, hook the two up (you might need one of these adapters) and if, and this is a BIG if, the DAC/headphone amp/power supply/etc... in the receiver is high quality you should be hearing some nice sounds.

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #15 of 17
You can also output a digital signal with your soundcard and still have all the hardware processing that your soundcard has.

OK, so you don't have a stand alone DAC... yet. If you don't want to take the plunge and buy a DAC/amp but if you already have or can buy-borrow-steal a receiver that has digital inputs, guess what it has it's own DAC, hook the two up (you might need one of these adapters) and if, and this is a BIG if, the DAC/headphone amp/power supply/etc... in the receiver is high quality you should be hearing some nice sounds.

Nice workaround suggestion to offer the OP plaidplatypus
tongue.gif

It really is all about experimentation, with some direction hopefully, from others sharring their personal experience. Then listen closely, for a long enough time frame to and for the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back