Do I really need a better soundcard for my HD-595?
Sep 29, 2007 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sofakng

New Head-Fier
I've accidentily posted this in the wrong forum (I didn't see the Computer forum), so I'm going to re-post it here...

I'm buying Sennhesier HD-595 headphones and I'm currently using the on-board sound of my ASUS P5B-Deluxe motherboard. According to the website it has "ASUS Crystal Sound and ADI® AD1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC".

I'm just wondering if I need to buy anything to make my games (and to a lesser extent, music) sound better. I can't afford an X-Fi card for CMSS-3D if it costs above $50.

I've been recommended the Chaintech AV710 PCI sound card for $25 to drastically improve sound quality.

Is this true?

Do I need it?

Will buying a CMoy or GoVibe amplifier change my need for buying a new soundcard?

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 21
A much better soundcard will help some.Mine is a 3 year old Audigy 4 that cost $85.00 back then.It was quite an improvement over the onboard sound I originally had. And yes, amps can help a lot although i've never heard the ones you mentioned.

I use to own 595's(I miss them terribly).My Z-Audio Lambda/Gilmore Lite with dps made a definite improvement driving the 595's.Have not heard any other amps but I can vouch for the two I own.

If your handy with a soldering iron...you can mod the xi-fi for even better sound as I did my Audigy 4- http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229350.

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 21
Pretty much anything would be an upgrade from the onboard sound codec (AC97) that you are using right now. Since you plan on using it for gaming, I will highly recommend that you save up and get a Creative X-fi. I believe the Xtreme Music model is the cheapest in that product line that is actually worth the cost. The Xtreme Gaming model is supposed to be a dumbed down version of the X-fi, and it should be avoided.

I personally haven't experienced any problems using the AV-710 for gaming, but it does lack the EAX effects that the Creative cards bring to the table. It's something to consider if you like the EAX effects (mainly reverb and 3D positioning). The high rez output on the AV-710 also needs an amp to sound it's best, as it's an unamplified lineout.

For the price the AV-710 is a steal, as it will provide a decent upgrade over your onboard audio, and it will only get better once you attach an amp to it's high rez output. If you absolutely can't go over $50, than I say get the AV-710 now and start saving up for a decent tube amp so your HD595 can really start to sing.

And to answer your final question, no, buying an amp will not solve your need for a new soundcard. Garbage in, garbage out is the mantra around here. You're better off buying a better soundcard before purchasing an amp.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 21
Auzentech currently has an X-Fi card (I can't remember the name, it's on their website). I'd stay away form Creative like it's the plague...I've been burned by them too many times, and I have two X-Fi cards that are basically paper weights now.

My X-Meridian has infinitely better sound quality over my old X-Fi platinum. The X-Fi version has similar analog quality, while offering the "great" gaming sound from the X-Fi chip. I personally think EAX is overrated, my X-Meridian sounds fine in every game I've played.

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 21
considering your budget that's way too much headphone. if you can't afford more than a $50 soundcard you should rethink your setup.

try shopping in the $100 range for cards. the X-fi line or the M-audio revolution and audiophile are all good in PCI form. from there i'd look at AKG K-240 studio's for headphones. should be easily found for $100-$120. i don't know what you found the 595's for but amazon has them for $180. that means with the 240's you're going to find $60 for a better soundcard plus the 240 studio doesn't need as much amp to sound good.

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the price the AV-710 is a steal, as it will provide a decent upgrade over your onboard audio, and it will only get better once you attach an amp to it's high rez output. If you absolutely can't go over $50, than I say get the AV-710 now and start saving up for a decent tube amp so your HD595 can really start to sing.

Sorry to "hijack" but what amp would you suggest for the HD595?

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much anything would be an upgrade from the onboard sound codec (AC97) that you are using right now.

The ADI AD1988B follows the Intel HD Audio spec, not AC'97, so it's a much better solution than typical onboard sound.

I don't recommend the Chaintech AV-710 because it doesn't help gaming performance (actually, it would make it worse since it doesn't support EAX), and the sound quality probably wouldn't be much better than your onboard sound.

No sound equipment in your price range will give you better sound, IMO. Start saving your money, or buy a headphone amplifier--it will be a better solution than plugging straight into the line output.
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 21
I would save up for a X-Fi XtremeMusic. The HD595 sounds quite good straight out of the x-fi's line out.
If thats too much money, I'd just stick with the onboard sound. I actually thought my onboard sound was quite a bit better then my SB live 5.1, apart from the background noise.

Andre.beat; I got the Darkvoice 336i, quite happy with it. I hear the little dot MKIII is also a very good match.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 21
I would save up for the xfi then you don't wave to worry about getting an amp with the av710. The xfi dsp settings rock for gaming.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No sound equipment in your price range will give you better sound, IMO. Start saving your money, or buy a headphone amplifier--it will be a better solution than plugging straight into the line output.
biggrin.gif

I bought a vintage receiver for $30 which I use as my headphone amp to drive my HD595. The sound improvement was dramatic. Not every old receiver is going to have a great HP jack, but many do.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 21
You guys don't think he should get a real, external amplifier for his headphones and worry about the soundcard later?

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys don't think he should get a real, external amplifier for his headphones and worry about the soundcard later?

A good soundcard is a lot more versatile then any amp. I would always invest in a sound card first then you have a strong base and can move from there.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 21
But he already has a decent sound card solution. Yes, it's onboard, but it's built by Analog Devices (ADI AD1988B), and it follows the Intel HD Audio specification. Bit-perfect audio and 101 dB SNR aren't bad for something that's essentially "free."
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics

santiclaws and I suggested an external amp on the previous page, so the three of us are in agreement. Due to the quality of the onboard sound, a $50 amp should be a larger improvement than a $50 sound card.

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 21
Some of the more current HD onboard sound chips are actually quite good. I'd go for the 595 and onboard sound if that sound chip is one of the better performing onboard solutions, and save up to get a headphone tube amp later on if you feel the need. I must say the HD595 sounds nicer amped by a tube amp than a line out, especially the bass gets a bit better and mids a bit less grainy, but the 595 definitely doesn't sound bad from a good soundcard lineout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back