Do I need two different dedicated HPamps for low impedance headphones and high impedance headphones ?
Jan 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ACDOAN

1000+ Head-Fier
I try to save as much $$$ as I could before I jump into the search for an above the norm HP amp. I am not new at Hi-end audio but for HP amps , I am as ignorant as a dumb ass.

This is the deal. I have been running my Sony laptop to the analog input of the Pio a 35r  integrated amp. Most of the low impedance cans sound kind of  not as good as I want and I know that because the HP jack amp of the Pio A35r is not a dedicated amp for HPs. The HD 595 gave me the most disappointed experience so I sent them back to the dealer.

Curiously, I tried the high impedance HD650 with my Pio a 35r integrated yesterday and I could not believe what I heard. The HP jack from an under $200.00 integrated amp has no right to sound this good. After a few research in this forum, I have learned that the Pio A35R at its price  point is a good HP amp to drive high impedance HPs such as the Senn HD 650/ the Beyer Dynamic DT 880-250Ohm . So,I will keep my Pio A 35r for high impedance HPs but do I need another amp for my low impedance HPs since they sound dreadful with the Pio A35r ?

My question is do I need another HP amp for my low impedance HPs which I have a few of them?  If I continue  using the Pio A 35R, would my low impedance HPs be at risk for any damage?

PS: I try but cannot find any spec on the Pio A35R HP jack.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 9
In general, the answer is no, you don't need different amps to drive low and high impedance headphones.  That said, you might own 2 amps, one for low and one for high.  In your case, you might end up using your integrated amp for your high impedance headphones and your low impedance headphones.  I personally try to find an amp that works well with both.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
You can even try the speaker outs using a DIY adapter cable with a resistor added. Works very well with my HD250IIs which have the same impedance. Recently I tried with Luxman L-410 and it is quite a bit better like that compared to the standard headphone out.

I am not good with DIY stuff. Show me a dedicated amp that sounds better than the Pio Elie A35r. I know there is better one outhere. Better yet show me A/B direct comparing, please.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 9
An integrated amp is usually capable of driving both low and high impedance headphones. The high vs low question usually only comes up when using OTL tube amps. I wouldn't worry about it otherwise. As with all things hifi, if you are happy with the sound you curently have, put your wallet away and run far far away from this place.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
An integrated amp is usually capable of driving both low and high impedance headphones. The high vs low question usually only comes up when using OTL tube amps. I wouldn't worry about it otherwise. As with all things hifi, if you are happy with the sound you curently have, put your wallet away and run far far away from this place.

Thank you for your advice. I need to run away for a while since with all the cans I have collected within a month time , my wallet is as thin as it can be.  Do not want to  go thru the round of eating Ramen noodles for lunch to pay for the ML SL3 so many moons ago. LOL.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 9
All you need is an amp that drives low impedance well. High impedance headphones will work fine on it and might benefit from a higher damping factor.

If you want low impedance, go with either solid state or a transformer-coupled tube amp. Cheapo OTLs aren't worth having.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back