Do i need to upgrade from my good soundcard to an external DAC?
Jul 25, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #16 of 18
Here is my story for the topic.. 

My good friend has an expensive high-end (>2500$) setup and he told me that he is constantly unhappy with the money spent. He could easy live with his X-fi -> Sharp reciver combo, especially for the price. The upgrade that changed his mind, making him happier (besides headphones of course) was a 300euro german power filter and stabilizer. Without clear, filtered current, the following investment isn't worth a big (student-pocket) effort. 

My personal setup is a much cheaper one.. You can see it... I could only suggest you not waste your time/money on mid-fi equipment. You wont be happy. Your soundcard is good enough to stand for it's own against almost everything below 500$ new. Sure, many would say there is difference and the external DAC would sound better indeed, but the thing is, it would not sound much better (you wouldn't get a night/day difference for sure)

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #17 of 18

Quote:
I currently have a Creative X-FI Titanium HD soundcard in my computer. I do all my listing from my PC. I use HQ FLAC rips (most from HDTracks). I have a Schiit Valhalla amp, and use my DT770 600Ohm headphones. I was planning on picking up Schiits new Bifrost DAC. But someone in another one of my posts said upgrading to that DAC would be waste of time.

er, no what I said exactly was

Quote:
This is kindly meant. Your existing soundcard is technically superior to your proposed upgrade. There is no technical department in which the Schiit is notably technically superior. Far from being a weak link your soundcard is already really good.

What you do with this is your business of course

Quote:
Don't always take what others say for granted. Welcome the suggestions and personal opinions but in the long run it is about you enjoying your music. Appearantly you had a reason to look for an external DAC. A external DAC easily outperforms your X-Fi Titanium HD internal soundcard. The good ones obviously.

Now I think that is a bold statement to make if there hasn't been any extensive quality reviews yet that puts the BiFrost in comparison to other external DACs. Price and specs can indicate something about the sonic qualities but that is not enough. We need real world tests. If you can just audition a few DACs that's in your interest. I think that'd be more helpful to you.

But if you want opinions here is mine. If you upgrade to an external DAC why not spend a bit more on a DAC that is truly amongst the top tier class if budget allows. A good DAC is always usable and could last very long with the owner rather than possibly having spend more in the long run for multiple 'compromise' DACs.

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #18 of 18
No, i diddnt mean it like that. 

Well, kinda :p

What i took from your reply was, that if it isnt any better, then i would be wasting my money  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back