Do i need to upgrade from my good soundcard to an external DAC?
Jul 22, 2011 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DaggothReborn

Head-Fier
I currently have a Creative X-FI Titanium HD soundcard in my computer. I do all my listing from my PC. I use HQ FLAC rips (most from HDTracks). I have a Schiit Valhalla amp, and use my DT770 600Ohm headphones. I was planning on picking up Schiits new Bifrost DAC. But someone in another one of my posts said upgrading to that DAC would be waste of time.

Opinions?

Creative XFI's Specs:

Specifications

1. Processor Creative X-Fi CA20K2 
  2. Memory None
  3. Interface PCI-E
  4. Maximum channels 2 (analogue), 6 (digital pass-through only)
  5. Bit-rate 24-bit
  6. Maximum sample rate 192KHz

(Full Review)

Schiit Bifrost's Specs:

Specifications

Inputs: Coaxial SPDIF, Optical SPDIF, USB (optional)
Input Capability: up to 24/192 for all inputs
Input Receiver, SPDIF: Crystal Semiconductor CS8416
Input Receiver, USB: C-Media CM6631

D/A Conversion IC: AKM4399
Analog Summing, Filtering: Fully Discrete, DC Coupled

Output: Dual RCA (single-ended)
Output Impedance: 75 ohms

Frequency Response, Analog Summing Stage: 2Hz-100KHz, -1dB (actual frequency response limited by sample rate)
Maximum Output: 2.2VRMS
THD: Less than 0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz
S/N: Greater than 108dB

(Product Page)

FYI, i would be using Optical Coaxial out from my PC to the Bifrost DAC, not USB.

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 18
Don't always take what others say for granted. Welcome the suggestions and personal opinions but in the long run it is about you enjoying your music. Appearantly you had a reason to look for an external DAC. A external DAC easily outperforms your X-Fi Titanium HD internal soundcard. The good ones obviously.

Quote:
But someone in another one of my posts said upgrading to that DAC would be waste of time.

Now I think that is a bold statement to make if there hasn't been any extensive quality reviews yet that puts the BiFrost in comparison to other external DACs. Price and specs can indicate something about the sonic qualities but that is not enough. We need real world tests. If you can just audition a few DACs that's in your interest. I think that'd be more helpful to you.

But if you want opinions here is mine. If you upgrade to an external DAC why not spend a bit more on a DAC that is truly amongst the top tier class if budget allows. A good DAC is always usable and could last very long with the owner rather than possibly having spend more in the long run for multiple 'compromise' DACs.

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 18
Humm. I like that answer... Idk, i kinda have OCD about things matching. But i agree with you. I found this site by accident, and started reading that there was actually a difference between a 30 dollar headphone and a 300 dollar headphone. So i started small, and built up (i only have like 1300 invested). But, if i knew what i know now, i could of saved like 500 bucks. So which DAC would you recommend for my setup, that i wouldn't have to mess with for a while. I don't plan on upgrading amps. I plan on getting a good DAC, then get into vinyl.

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 18
Anedio D1 DAC just because I happen to be very happy with it. Head over to project86 review and read through the thread for impressions. Always great to read. Just remember recommendations are always in certain ways subjective. If the D1 catches your interest please also audition yourself and trust your own ears.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528473/review-anedio-d1-dac-my-new-reference-dac

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 18
You didn't explicitely stated a budget and since you were agreeing with my logic I came up with this. I can't say anything about BiFrost yet for the obvious reasons. Start looking around, do some research, audition and come back with more specific feedback. We'll be able to help you better.

What do you exactly expect from your 'future' DAC? Better would rather be vague... Most will agree that a DAC should at least give you the most truthful representation possible from your source. But often more than not some maybe are looking for a DAC that excels at a particular area because that's important for them. Soundstage definition maybe? Etc. etc. Just an example.

Be more specific. More opinions posted with no specific requirements from your side will not help.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 18
My opinion on the matter rather unpopular at head-fi so I'll limit myself to just a suggestion: Get the Bifrost when it comes out and listen for yourself. Schiit has a wonderful 15 day return policy. If it makes no big difference, return it. If you like it, keep it. You've got nothing to lose.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 18
Yes that could be a logical step. Most companies really do offer you a period to try it out. Thanks for adding it strannik! 
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 18
Yeah, sorry lol :p

The thing is, no one around hear does music. Tennessee sucks :frowning2: If it isn't a four-wheel drive, its not cool :frowning2:

So I'm just going with it really. But once i got my first pair of entry level headphones, i was frickin hooked =)

So it really comes down to "I don't know how it should sound. I know i have a pretty decent pair of headphones, cables, amp, and copy of music. Whats my next step" :p

But I do know this: There are a handful of Tool, Eric Clapton, and Elton John songs that still blow my mind when I hear them. I just want them to sound better.

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I'm afraid you'll come to find that this desire never really goes away regardless of what dac, amp, or phone you buy. Once the bug bites you've already lost the patient 
wink.gif

Yeah... I can see that :)

Quote:

For what it is worth, Tn is a beautiful state, one of the most beautiful states I have ever visited.

Yeah, it is. Very pretty here. I love taking pictures. But on the other end, we just got indoor toilets and power.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #15 of 18
Heya,

I've always used soundcards in the past. However, after moving on to a portable entry level DAC and then finally moving into a quality mid-level DAC, I can say, I will never use a soundcard again (exception: gaming). I've used the STX, Forte, DG, etc. End of the day, a good external DAC is what I wanted. Oodles of inputs. Works with any device, not just a computer. I hear a difference, a clarity, didn't even know there was interference until I heard one that was dead silent with no interference (figured it was the recording, wasn't).

As a user, I can't help but recommend the Matrix Cube DAC.

It's also a pretty good amplifier.

I've A-B'd it versus other setups and found it to be a great quality sound and amp for the price. Completely happy with it. Good entry price for what you're getting.

The only time I'd use a sound card is to game for positioning, in which case, the HD Titanium is great.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back