Do I need to get other grado?
Apr 6, 2004 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jkim

New Head-Fier
I own rs-1 and I have owned and heard only rs-1 and sr-325.
And as far as I heard, rs-2 has some quality diferrent from rs-1 and sr-225 has flattest freq response in grado series.
I wonder if I need to get rs-2 or sr-225 or I just need to have only top model and getting other model is just waste of time and money.
I bought rs-1 and sell 325 for 325's brightness and harshing high tone.

Apr 6, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 12
Hmm, if you are happy with your current top-of-line sound (RS-1) why buy others (especially lower end ones)? Of course, if you are Grado Collector, then you may want to buy 'em all
biggrin.gif

Frankly, if you want to hear different sounding cans, I would say buy a different manufacturers' model say Senn or Sony. Or complete your wood-phone collection with AT W2002 and Sony R10
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Mike

Apr 6, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 12
I would like to own one "wooden" Grado and one "metal" Grado/Alessandro. I want to buy either RS-1's or MS Pro's this year. As for the "metal" one, so far I have MS-2's, however I am waiting for more reviews of PS-1's and considering HP-1's, HP-2's for the future too.

Apr 6, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 12
RS-1/HP-1 is a nice combo to own for sure. Still dying to try PS-1 though and give them a whirl.

For me, I would not waste my time with RS-2 when you already have RS-1 unless you like the sound fo the RS-2 better.

Apr 6, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 12
I agree with "go_vtec", unless you are a Grado collector, why not try some of the quality phones from other manufactures. There are so many choices out there it seems a pity to limit yourself to one brand. Why not try something from; Audio-Technica, Beyer, Sony or Sennheiser? They all make cans worth having!

Best wishes,

- augustwest

Apr 6, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 12
I have both the RS-1 and the SR-325 and frankly, since I got the RS-1, I rarely listen to the 325.

...Oh yeah, I have the SR-60 too but it's been so long since I used them, I almost forgot about them.

Apr 7, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
however I am waiting for more reviews of PS-1's and considering HP-1's, HP-2's for the future too.

I know PS-1, MS-Pro and what is HP-1, HP-2 and HP-1000?
Are those also made by grado or OEM by grado?

Apr 7, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 12
Quick Grado history lesson (Reader's Digest version):

The HP-1000 series (models HP-1, HP-2, & HP-3) are discontinued models circa the 90's, when Grado was owned and operated by Joseph Grado. The current lineup (RS-1, RS-2, SR325,... etc.) were developed by the new owner/operator John Grado (Joe's nephew).

The HP-1000 series is still considered one of the best dynamic heaphones, even today, and commands premium prices on the used market upwards of double their original retail prices.

The PS-1 is a new Grado model that apparently Grado has developed originally for the German professional studio market. They command a premium price as well, and the only place you can buy them within the U.S. is from Todd the Vinyl Junkie, one of Head-Fi's sponsors.

Apr 7, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 12
If you have RS-1, you should try to get some of the older Joe Grado phones, as they have different voicings... HP-1, SR-100 or 200, etc. Other than that, yeah, try the other manufacturers to see how their products sound...

Apr 7, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by go_vtec
Hmm, if you are happy with your current top-of-line sound (RS-1) why buy others (especially lower end ones)? Of course, if you are Grado Collector, then you may want to buy 'em all
biggrin.gif

Frankly, if you want to hear different sounding cans, I would say buy a different manufacturers' model say Senn or Sony. Or complete your wood-phone collection with AT W2002 and Sony R10
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Mike

LOL, gotta catch em all!
evil_smiley.gif

attachment.php

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back