Do I need more power?
Oct 19, 2009 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ParadigmPenguin

New Head-Fier
I've found that when the (heavy) bass notes hit on my K702s, there is some distortion. Mind you, this is with my source volume maxed, and my Head Direct EF1 at a relatively high volume.

Does this distortion result from a lack of power? If so, is there another unit I can purchase to supply my amplifier with a bit more.. oomph?

Also, my DAC, computer (source), EF1 and a number of lamps are plugged into a surge protector that is daisy chained (to another surge) to the wall. Could this effect anything?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 8
"Distortion" can mean variety of things, but what you're describing doesn't sound like a power issue to me. I'd expect the bass to go dull/flat if you didn't have enough power. You sure your levels aren't clipping at some stage?

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the response. The bass certainly isn't dull, nor flat. I also now that the EF-1 should be capable of driving these. What do you mean by "clipping?"

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 8
Thought I would help you out a little - here is a great article on clipping, I have the suspicion that this is what you are hearing.
Clipping (audio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you may be able to get more performance out of your cans with an amp as it sounds like your source is a bit overworked. You can tell when you are over driving the drivers in the cans as you will hear a loud crack as the bass hits ( experienced this on my DT770/80s and a Millett Starving Student amp ). Hope this helps you out.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swingtops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought I would help you out a little - here is a great article on clipping, I have the suspicion that this is what you are hearing.
Clipping (audio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the link, that's an informative article. I'm guessing then, that my amplifier's power reserves are being tapped out. Is there a power supply, or something I can purchase that will deliver extra power to the amp during a spike?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swingtops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you may be able to get more performance out of your cans with an amp as it sounds like your source is a bit overworked. You can tell when you are over driving the drivers in the cans as you will hear a loud crack as the bass hits ( experienced this on my DT770/80s and a Millett Starving Student amp ). Hope this helps you out.

I am using an amplifier (Head-Direct EF-1). I'm not sure if the amp itself is overworked, however. The "clipping" distortion seems like the problem.

EDIT: Just to clarify, when I say more "power" I mean a more powerful amplifier, or something to better drive my headphones in conjunction with that amp.

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 8
sorry, I should have read your post a little more carefully - I think your assumption is correct, but as for having so many things plugged into the same outlet, my suggestion would be to try it on its own. I don't think that will solve anything as your outlet should have plenty of power.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 8
Okay, thank you. Wasn't sure if interference could have that much of an impact. I'll give that a shot tonight, and in the meanwhile will look at other options.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ParadigmPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link, that's an informative article. I'm guessing then, that my amplifier's power reserves are being tapped out. Is there a power supply, or something I can purchase that will deliver extra power to the amp during a spike?

I am using an amplifier (Head-Direct EF-1). I'm not sure if the amp itself is overworked, however. The "clipping" distortion seems like the problem.

EDIT: Just to clarify, when I say more "power" I mean a more powerful amplifier, or something to better drive my headphones in conjunction with that amp.

It's not just the power supply. Sometimes the amplification circuit can't supply enough power even with an ideal power supply.

Modding the amp would necessitate installing a bigger power supply and a better amp circuit.

In other words, you'd replace everything but the case. It usually makes mote sense to sell the old amp and put that money towards a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back