Do I need an amp?
Mar 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NewWaveAudio

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have the Sony MDR x10 headphones. I mainly use them with my modded Galaxy S3 with Acid and Pure audio 2 sound mods. Love the sound coming out of them, but songs with lower bitrates can't power them. Have the same problem with some YouTube videos.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 6
I currently have the Sony MDR x10 headphones. I mainly use them with my modded Galaxy S3 with Acid and Pure audio 2 sound mods. Love the sound coming out of them, but songs with lower bitrates can't power them. Have the same problem with some YouTube videos.

i would think Bit-rate would have not any effect on loudness.
I would assume the problem is with your Galaxy S3/programs/mp3s, I'm not saying there is anything really wrong with the phone or applications, could just be you have poor quality low Bit-rate recordings and Youtube videos?
Or there is some setting in your program that needs to be changed to boost the audio for poor quality mp3s?

You welcome to try a FiiO E11 portable headphone amplifier with your Galaxy and it might help.

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 6

Bit rate has nothing to do with volume.

And the MDR-X10s are very easy to drive (24 ohm impedance and 106 dB/mW sensitivity). I actually tried these recently at an airport with my iPhone 4. They don't need additional amping.

The problem is either with your source files (very low quality maybe?) - or even with the headphones themselves (maybe they don't suit your preference). From my brief listen they had pretty loose bass. It pretty much overpowered the midrange.

A typical "consumer" targeted headphone - bass heavy and overly warm. Great for those who are looking for that type of sound I suppose.

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 6
I mainly have the problem with a few songs on the new beats music app

Might be easier and cheaper just replace those few songs and buy higher bit-rate mp3s of them?
Or buy used CDs with those songs on them and make your own 256k or 320k mp3 files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back