Do I need an Amp?
Jun 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fastfox1306

New Head-Fier
Hello all, first post here! I am a newb to "audiophile headphones" and I've been using Shure e4c's the past 5 years and I wanted to take a significant leap in audio quality, so here I am! I just recently took a plunge and purchased a set of Grado GS1000i headphones (actually don't arrive until June 5th) with less than 20 hours use on them for a good price. Before I get into my questions, let me tell you my setup and how I plan on listening to music.

Setup:
-Vizio CT15-A1 ultrabook
-Marantz SR5006 7.1 Home Theater Receiver 
-Playstation 3
-Grado GS1000i Cans

My plan was to run HDMI from my laptop to my Marantz receiver and then run the Grado GS1000i's form the receiver via the headphone jack. I only plan on playing FLAC files form my laptop and occasionally cd's from my playstation 3. Obviously I plan on using the Grado's soley at home. I have a pair of Shure e4c's for everything else. 

Now i've been researching the past few days on everything audiophile and I had a few questions:

1.) Will my grado's sound fine without a dedicated headphone amp/DAC?

2.) Will my Receiver suffice as an amplifier?

3.) Are there any DAC's (such as audioengine, Dayton, hifiman, little dot, etc.) that will power the Gs1000's fine for under $200?

My main reason for asking this is because a lot of my money went into the headphones, and I have about $200 left over for a DAC or amplifier if it is necessary. Would it be wiser to get a cheaper suitable amplifier (mentioned in 3rd question above) or save up for a higher quality amplifier down the road (such as woo audio, schiit, burson, etc.)?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply! That was my initial thoughts, but I figured I'd ask some people with more knowledge than me. I'll post pics once I get the new cans! I cannot wait to discover my entire music collection again!

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! That was my initial thoughts, but I figured I'd ask some people with more knowledge than me. I'll post pics once I get the new cans! I cannot wait to discover my entire music collection again!

I agree with GSARider. If you don't like what you hear, that's the time to consider buying additional gear. If you do like what you hear, listen away. It's the music that counts, not the amount of money spent on equipment.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 8
Got the Grado's today! Simply amazing! Supposedly they only have 20 hours on them, so I cannot wait to hear them when they "break in." They sound great coming form my Marantz receiver...for the time being I'll use that and I may experiment later on with a decent amp once they're broken in. 

Thank you everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it!

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Great! Enjoy the new cans...:) if I was you, once you've had a chance to get used to them find a meet near you and go down with them and try every set up you can. This way you can evaluate properly, if none nearby, find a friendly dealer who has a decent showroom.

Then again, if your sound set up is good and you're enjoying it...settle back and just enjoy...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back