Do I need an amp?
Mar 2, 2012 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AnnonTheMouse

New Head-Fier
I'm new to the forum. I just got my first cuople pair of quality headphones, klipsch X10 and AKG Q701, and have some questions about headphone amps. I've read that the AKG need to be amped, but I get sufficient volume and it sounds amazing without so far. My question is, what would the main benefits of an amp be? Would it make it clearer or increase the range?

Thanks in advanced everone.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 13
Read this link, hopefully it can provide you a better idea.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/how-do-i-know-if-my-headphones-need-an-amp.php

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 13
The iBasso PB2 can drive them easily with authority and it's very detailed yet musical AMPs.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 13
well once you find out if you need or want an amp the next question is how much u want to spend, what you want to do with it, do you need a DAC, how are you going to use it?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-7-1-amps-compared

this is a great thread for cheap good amps but if you want a DAC also. just come back here and we can help you out. not necessarily me, I have the E17 and it's a highly popular DAC, ask me any questions on it if you are curious. but keep in mind, this is your money, take hold of it and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. just bc one of us says anything doesn't mean it's a sure thing, be sure to get multiple sources and primary use with the headphones and the thing you want. PM'ing the person that wrote a post on it  i find is the best and most assured way to know if it is good or not.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 13
I was actually considering the E17, but wasn't sure if it's enough to power the 701's. I don't really need a portable amp becaue I'm happy with my klipsch X10's for portability. That being said I heard the E10 is better than the E7, so I'm curious to know how it compares to the E17. What I think I'm going to do is get the E10 and E9, that way I use the E9 as a more powerful amp and E10 as a DAC. MY budget is limited right now, but in the summer when I'm working between school, I plan to buy a more powerful amp like the Schiit Lyr.

The last thing I'm wondering is that I have a 7.1 ch Denon receiver sitting at my parents house that I bought a couple years ago. I don't have it with me since it takes up alot of desk space, but I'm willing to sacrifice some desk space if it will save me a bunch of money. Would it work well to use it as an amp? Would I even need a DAC if i use my mac mini's optical out to my receiver?

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
I was actually considering the E17, but wasn't sure if it's enough to power the 701's. I don't really need a portable amp becaue I'm happy with my klipsch X10's for portability. That being said I heard the E10 is better than the E7, so I'm curious to know how it compares to the E17. What I think I'm going to do is get the E10 and E9, that way I use the E9 as a more powerful amp and E10 as a DAC. MY budget is limited right now, but in the summer when I'm working between school, I plan to buy a more powerful amp like the Schiit Lyr.
The last thing I'm wondering is that I have a 7.1 ch Denon receiver sitting at my parents house that I bought a couple years ago. I don't have it with me since it takes up alot of desk space, but I'm willing to sacrifice some desk space if it will save me a bunch of money. Would it work well to use it as an amp? Would I even need a DAC if i use my mac mini's optical out to my receiver?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought
this si the main E17 thread. everything is on here. if you want to know how ti does read form page 50 to 80 and then 100 and onwards.

will u use 701 for portability, im sure i rmemebr many memebrs on that thread saying the E1 drives it well but im not sure. you would need to check it out

the Denon should work but the question is how well. Some Denon's have low quality parts. meaning yes u will maybe have a good amp and what not but it may be limited. give it a try. the Denon has a built in DAC..but again..is it an audiophile DAC per say?

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 13
Might be better off in the end just saving up your money and spending the extra 200 on a even better desktop amp or DAC when you get around to it. If your using the k701 without a amp already then it can't hurt to go a little longer without one. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 13
hi all, i am quite new to this, and am just wondering if i need a headphone amp, i m planning to get the Fidelio L1 or Focal Spirit 1 as my first "nice" headphones, and i will be using my heaphones mainly with my ipod or my macbook pro. I only have my music in mp3 files, and not all of them are in 320kbp, so i m just wondering if this is the case, should i still bother with headphones amp / dac and stuff, or should i not bother since the source of my music are not too great anyway?

thanks!!

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 13
I would recommend trying to get better quality music files first since the more money you put into your setup the more you will realize how bad the compressed files sound. Your gear will only sound as good as your source.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #13 of 13
Agreed. I think it's honestly best to get lossless music first. It sounds better even on your average speaker/ headphone, and having it will allow you see the limitations of your system. This type of diagnosis helps when picking what you want/need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back