Do I need an amp? Use with laptop and iphone 5
Nov 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shisnitty

New Head-Fier
Just bought my first pair of high quality headphones and earphones to use with my laptop (onboard realtek stuff so probably not much to expect out of it) and my iphone 5.

I got some x10s and m80s, do they need to be ampd? I have no clue in this department and really have no idea how to work amps let alone touched one before

Will it make a large difference sound quality wise? If so, anybody have any suggestions for something that attaches to the iphone 5 (since apple decided to annoy everyone and add the new lightning connection instead of staying with the 30 pin).

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 5
The x10's should be improved, there like 50 ohms, not sure about the m80's as there pretty efficient (only 28.5 ohms).
For use with your laptop, I suggest an amp/DAC combo.  Maybe even an external soundcard (not to keen on that department).  A DAC would really help out, more so than just an amp.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Just bought my first pair of high quality headphones and earphones to use with my laptop (on-board Realtek stuff so probably not much to expect out of it) and my iPhone 5.

I got some x10s and m80s, do they need to be ampd? I have no clue in this department and really have no idea how to work amps let alone touched one before

Will it make a large difference sound quality wise? If so, anybody have any suggestions for something that attaches to the iPhone 5 (since apple decided to annoy everyone and add the new lightning connection instead of staying with the 30 pin).

Sony MDR-X10s? and V-Moda M80? are those the headphones you listed?

Apple products seem to come with decent audio support, chances are headphones will sound better with the iPhone5, then the laptop.
So for the laptop get a Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier.
(DAC - Digital to Analog Converter)
The E10's DAC should be better then the laptop's and the E10 headphone amplifier should provide a better quality amplification, then the Laptop's headphone jack.

Currently the Fiio E10 is on sale at Adorama's for $44.99. (normal price is usually around $65-$70).
http://www.adorama.com/FIE10.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back