Do I need an amp or DAC + amp for RS1i?
Mar 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DNZGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Recently went to my local seller and purchased the RS1i, upgrading from a v-moda m-80. I spent like an entire hour listening to music between the P500, RS1i and HD650 before deciding on these but I have 30 days to try them out and exchange for the HD650 (which I also loved but could not drive properly with my E11). 

The guy at the store told me I should get a DAC along with an amp for the RS1i and but I have very little knowledge about DACs in general. I feel like buying the e17 as it seems to get good reviews and sounds like an all purpose type product at a reasonable price.

Is there any other specific amps or amp/DACs that would work better with the RS1i? Also, I might very possibly go ahead and change to the HD650 and be trying those for two weeks so if it would be great if I bought an amp that could power the HD650 at least well enough. 

Also, just one side note. Is there anything do like add cushions to the RS1i? It kind of hurts me ears but I don't know if adding something would change its properties.

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 3
A DAC's a good thing to have in general, but there's no reason why switching to the RS1i's would make you need one if you were happy without one before; the RS1's benefit from good sources, but still sound nice without such.  I use mine straight out my iPod sometimes.

Personally, I think the RS1i's perform better than the HD650's, but the 650's are much more comfortable.  I wouldn't recommend running the 650's off Fii0 gear, but, with the money you'd save buying them (assuming they're under $400), you could get a better amp.

Check out the Grado modding threads here for some ideas in regards to alternative padding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back