Do i need a sound card to properly hear these?
Jun 28, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #46 of 58
Alright thanks guys for all the help! I got the cans today. So far I like them, though not as much of a jump from an upgrade from the g35's as i thought.  Now i do not have a sound card but its on the way.  Got the Xonar DGX, is there anything i should know about the card?  Is it pretty much just a plug and play? Do i have to plug the headphones and the mic directly into it? Or can i plug it in at the front of my comp? 

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:
Alright thanks guys for all the help! I got the cans today. So far I like them, though not as much of a jump from an upgrade from the g35's as i thought.  Now i do not have a sound card but its on the way.  Got the Xonar DGX, is there anything i should know about the card?  Is it pretty much just a plug and play? Do i have to plug the headphones and the mic directly into it? Or can i plug it in at the front of my comp? 

Plug the Xonar DGX into the computer's PCI-E motherboard slot.
Also go into the motherboard's BIOS and "disable" on-board audio.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

The G35 has a low end DAC built-in which is probably why you don't hear much of a difference between it and your AD700 + Realtek.

Connect your case's HD Audio headers to the DGX because they have the auto-detect, meaning your sound card will switch to headphone out instead of speaker out whenever you plug your headphones in.

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #49 of 58
It willtake a while to notice and appreciate the sound differences. Listen to your fav music for a while and see if it sounds different.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #50 of 58
The G35 has a low end DAC built-in which is probably why you don't hear much of a difference between it and your AD700 + Realtek.

Connect your case's HD Audio headers to the DGX because they have the auto-detect, meaning your sound card will switch to headphone out instead of speaker out whenever you plug your headphones in.

What are HD audio headers? Is that in my motherboard connections?

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #51 of 58
The audio headers are the cables that are connected to the front of your PC that you connect to your motherboard. Most PC cases usually have 2 connecters - one is AC97 and the other is HD Audio.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #52 of 58
The audio headers are the cables that are connected to the front of your PC that you connect to your

motherboard. Most PC cases usually have 2 connecters - one is AC97 and the other is HD Audio.

Hmm okay. So there's a cord on my motherboard that I need to run to the outside and plug it in one of the ports on the back of the sound card? Or is it a cord that's connected to my on board audio I just need to move it to the sound card?

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:
Hmm okay. So there's a cord on my motherboard that I need to run to the outside and plug it in one of the ports on the back of the sound card? Or is it a cord that's connected to my on board audio I just need to move it to the sound card?

The front panel audio cable should be inside the case already connected to the inside panel for the green & pink 3.5mm jacks (front of case audio jacks)
This cable usually comes with the older "AC97" and newer "HD Audio" connectors, use the HD Audio connector.
So you need to take this "HD Audio" connector (cable) and connect it to the sound card's "front panel" audio connection.
Or to the "Front Panel" audio connector built into the motherboard (if your only using on-board audio).

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #54 of 58
Alright gang, i got the sound card.  So far i notice a little bit of an improvement in sound.  Overall i wish it was more, but it could be my settings in the xonar audio center.  Anyone have experience with this?  I would love help setting this up optimal for gaming and music. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:
Alright gang, i got the sound card.  So far i notice a little bit of an improvement in sound.  Overall i wish it was more, but it could be my settings in the Xonar audio center.  Anyone have experience with this?  I would love help setting this up optimal for gaming and music. 

Have you "disable" in the BIOS, the motherboard's on-board audio?
Tried (installed) the "Xonar Unified Drivers" from the website Brainbit.

In the control panel
Audio channels, 2-channel for music, 6-channel for movies, games 2 or 6 channel whichever sounds better.
Simple rate, 96Khz (44.1Khz should be ok for music).
Analog Out 'Headphone", Ohm should at the "32-Ohm<"
S/PDIF Out, unchecked

Program for playing audio files, Foobar2000, with latest WASAPI update.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:
Have you "disable" in the BIOS, the motherboard's on-board audio?
Tried (installed) the "Xonar Unified Drivers" from the website Brainbit.

In the control panel
Audio channels, 2-channel for music, 6-channel for movies, games 2 or 6 channel whichever sounds better.
Simple rate, 96Khz (44.1Khz should be ok for music).
Analog Out 'Headphone", Ohm should at the "32-Ohm<"
S/PDIF Out, unchecked

Program for playing audio files, Foobar2000, with latest WASAPI update.

How come not 8 channels for game? and why 2 channel for music? Just curious. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:
How come not 8 channels for game? and why 2 channel for music? Just curious. 

I never know if someone is getting the newer card that support 8-channels or the older version that only supported 6-channels.
Some games do support 8-channel (I have no idea which ones) and also some Blu-ray movies support 8-channel.

Most music audio is sold in 2-channel recordings and the "Audio Channel" setting is used to tell the sound card how many channels the source is.
There is some rare music audio that is designed for 5.1 (6-channel) audio.

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #58 of 58
Thanks for all the help gang, audio quality is solid, overall a slight improvement in directional audio, and I believe a good improvement on audio quality.  Now i am having a problem with how i run iTunes.  I have the audio center running great, however if i turn down the music slider on my Itunes, it will turn down for about a second, then without my moving the slider, the volume goes back up to max.  What is causing this? I assume its the amp or the Xonar audio center doing this.  I don't have the smart volume selected, i made sure that was off.  Any suggestions?  There are times where i want to have feint music in the background when im playing my video games. 

P.S. When people talk to me in ventrilo, is there a way to stop their echo? I am getting a little bit of echo when they talk, sounds like they are in an arena, but i have none of those places selected or settings selected in my options. Any ideas? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back